Chum Derby 2016

PS, if you're looking for chromers there were lots of clean fish in the mix. Guys were keeping fish that were coloured up because of the high aggregate prize. Many of the fish were extremely bright, however they tended to be the smaller 6 - 8 pounders.

So in this digital age, I can still obtain a paper DFO issued sportsfishing license (with conservation stamp) from "tackle shops,resorts"!!!

I thought when DFO changed to the (poorly administered - (what's new?)) glitch ridden online licensing system, you could not buy a paper license anywhere - only through the DFO website. Can anyone confirm that they have such a license?, or is DFO just relaying more inaccurate information.

Observation;
The more the system is flawed/mismanaged the closer the fish cops circle around.

Just to close the loop on this, I called the DFO licensing office today (18775357307) to explain the situation and to find out what to do in the future if the website is down again (it is still down today). They are getting lots of calls on this issue. The lady told me that some independent access providers (tackle shops, resorts), may have paper copies of fishing licenses or may have pre-purchased licenses online for times like this when the website is down. As I mentioned above, Browns's Bay Resort did not have any paper licenses but I should have tried the local tackle shops to see if they had any paper licenses. If paper licences are not available, the lady advised me to take people fishing nonetheless and retain salmon, and if the Fisheries officers ask to see licenses, explain to them that website is down and the DFO Licensing office will corroborate that it is out of service. Having the website down does not mean that people can't go fishing - straight from the DFO.

It's not the last time this website is down over a weekend so hopefully that's helpful if anyone else is in the same situation.

Still lots of chums coming though. Spent the last 3 days out after them. Fished the flood on thursday, then ebb on friday and saturday. Dummy glow flashers with glow flasher/little shrimp looking like thing. Anywhere from 40-80 feet worked best for us and we focused on a particular rip/tides lines on the ebb and the flood we stayed away from the crowd that was in Deepwater/Sep head and focused further up north. 8,9,10 each day with a couple coho thrown in the mix as well, 4-5 hours of fishing each day. Thursday on the flood was probably the thickest water I've ever fished. We just ran one rod for about an hour as by the time I started dropping the other rod, we were hooked up on the other side. Friday was mainly males, yesterday was all females. Pretty fresh fish too!

Took dad out for one last fishing trip of the year.
Limiting was not hard. Lots of chrome to be had.
Hilarious watching dad's eyes pop when we hit yet another triple.

Back