Chinook maximum length - 80 or 66cm?

2xeagle16

I have a question about the 2024 recreational Chinook regulations in area 20. Presently we are allowed to retain a chinook with a maximum length of 80 cm – nose to the centre of the back of the tail. The head off is a maximum of 66 cm from the front of the pectoral fin to the center, and back of the tail.

Chinook head shape and length vary greatly depending on what river they came from. I had a chinook last week that was 80 cm nose to tail and, 64 cm from front of pectoral fin to tail. If a chinook has a nose to tail of greater than 80 cm, but has a pectoral fin to tail measurement of 66 cm, can this fish be legally retained?

I sent an email to DFO last week – I have not received a reply.

Last edited:
Why not just keep the head on until you get the fish home, problem solved. Let me qualify, if the notch in the tail to tip of nose measurement is 80cm then leave the head on until you get home to eliminate any chance of the fish not being considered legal. Technically that’s the most common form of measurement that I’m aware of.

Last edited:
It just seems odd, that if you have an illegal fish over 80 cm, but the pectoral fin Io tail is 66 cm, or under, by simply cutting the head off it becomes legal.

I would guess DFO would give you a fine for retaining an oversize fish anyway, but what would happen if you disputed the fine and it went to court?

I have had two springs right on 80 cm, and the pectoral fin to tail has been 64cm. Both fish had a very short head and were female. I assume they were Fraser fish. What if you caught a Puget Sound fish, with the long head. and was a male? The difference would be much greater – an 85 cm fish could be legal with the head cut off.

Last edited:
If the fish is whole that is the length that will be used to determine if it's legal.

However, they do allow people to transport fish with the heads removed so they have to list a method of measurement to determine legality, thus there's the front-of-pectoral to tail measurement.

My opinion is that if you retained a fish that was greater than 80cm but measured out to 66cm front-of-pectoral to tail and retained it onboard, whole, and were stopped by a DFO inspector it would be deemed oversize/illegal since the intact measurement will take precedent over anything else.

I thought this was debated a number years ago and the official response was that you need to keep the head on if there is a max size limit in place, until it reaches your ordinary residence.

This came up because you can't return the head until after your bring the fish home and some wanted to drop it off at the marina or whatever.

I believe it was agree if it was hatchery you could remove the head to return it.

Last edited:
Back