CHEK, News Poll. Save the Whales, get rid of sports anglers.

OldBlackDog

Time to vote.

Attachments

• IMG_3280.png
    IMG_3280.png
    431.3 KB · Views: 71
Old news and I'm sticking to the original question in which no person has been able to answer.

How can people on the surface with 9.9 kickers outfish an orca?

Last edited:
well that's what is alleged, so I said "supposedly". There isn't a scientific consensus on the issue and some of those who think noise is a disturbance think the bigger issue is larger vessels.

Personally I don't know - neither do most anglers and other laymen.

people interested in the issue may want to familiarize themselves of the properties of sound, particularly underwater;

sound is measured with using the decibel scale in db. The scale is logarithmic. Each increase of 10 db is a doubly of sound pressure (sound is a pressure). Sound underwater is much more intense than in air. when I was a kid me and friends use to test this out by banging 2 rocks together first with our heads above water and then under. The greater sound pressure particularly of higher frequencies was apparent.

Sound does not transfer easily from air to water and vice versa. These means that the noise a 9.9hp kicker makes as heard in a boat is nowhere near as apparently loud as it is underwater.

Last edited:
people interested in the issue may want to familiarize themselves of the properties of sound, particularly underwater;

sound is measured with using the decibel scale in db. The scale is logarithmic. Each increase of 10 db is a doubly of sound pressure (sound is a pressure). Sound underwater is much more intense than in air. when I was a kid me and friends use to test this out by banging 2 rocks together first with our heads above water and then under. The greater sound pressure particularly of higher frequencies was apparent.

Sound does not transfer easily from air to water and vice versa. These means that the noise a 9.9hp kicker makes as heard in a boat is nowhere near as apparently loud as it is underwater.

Thanks they must have skipped sound in my engineering classes so thanks for the description. Roll eyes 🙄

Last edited:

So as a fisherman if whales are in an area we go somewhere else generally. However the fleet of whale watcher boats sit on top of them and chase them. And the issue is????

I suddenly understand how Dr. Fauci must feel before a sub-committee of the House of Representatives. Spring Velocity that wasn't for you specifically and specially it wasn't for you at all.

Last edited:
Last edited:

I've heard a lot of outboards go overhead while diving. Nowhere near as loud as on deck.

Whales of all kinds including Orcas move in and fish amongst sport fishers all the time. If it bothered them I'm sure they would avoid that.
I heard that the sacred southern residents were down to 77 animals from an all time recorded high of 84.

The count in 1993 was 96. It's a small if unique population. Not much was known about it before the first whales were captured in the 60s. For example that they mostly ate salmon and seals little if at all. One study has suggested the drop in population numbers is mostly attributable to the capture and sale of young females for the Marine Exhibit industry. No only do females do much of the hunting it was also a reduction of the next generations breeding population.

I've heard a lot of outboards go overhead while diving. Nowhere near as loud as on deck.
Not sure what you mean by "go overhead while diving". One kicker engine trolling may mean little in terms of noise underwater. Ten to 100 in a small area could add up to significant underwater noise.

Not sure what you mean by "go overhead while diving". One kicker engine trolling may mean little in terms of noise underwater. Ten to 100 in a small area could add up to significant underwater noise.
And yet almost "NOTHING" compared to all of the freighters,tankers tugs sea planes and a "WHOLE LOT of whale tour boats.
PLUS those of us who shore fish are probably the noisiest of the lot.

Last edited:
First off I am not saying angling closures are necessary in the circumstances. However most marine commercial traffic are under speed restrictions. Other areas have recommended reductions that many operators follow. It's claimed noise levels from that traffic is down substantially (40% to 60%).
I have been on BC Ferries a few times when the boat passed whales and they slowed down to about 5 knots. I've been on a whale watching cruise and when the boat was near whales, they shut the engine off. Most marine traffic transits through an area where whales are present. As I mentioned above fishing boats tend to loiter in the same are for extended periods. For example a couple of summers ago I counted about 3 dozen boats fishing near the south end of Mitlenatch Island.

First off I am not saying angling closures are necessary in the circumstances. However most marine commercial traffic are under speed restrictions. Other areas have recommended reductions that many operators follow. It's claimed noise levels from that traffic is down substantially (40% to 60%).
I have been on BC Ferries a few times when the boat passed whales and they slowed down to about 5 knots. I've been on a whale watching cruise and when the boat was near whales, they shut the engine off. Most marine traffic transits through an area where whales are present. As I mentioned above fishing boats tend to loiter in the same are for extended periods. For example a couple of summers ago I counted about 3 dozen boats fishing near the south end of Mitlenatch Island.
I have also been on the water watching whale watch tour boats follow the pod of whales in tight quarters, close enough i reported it to dfo. Dfo mentioned they will follow up and they did. Rules are for everyone.
Southern residents were doomed from the whale removals, pollution.... They are not starving because if they were they would hunt elsewhere for their food, similar to all mammals.

Reports over the last 2-3 years state that they do spend less time in the JDF & Salish Sea as they are spending more time in other areas to find food with a new matriarch leading them in this. This is why the static SRKW forage areas (i.e. no fishing areas ) are SO STUPID as they are seldom in these areas anymore.

The count in 1993 was 96. It's a small if unique population. Not much was known about it before the first whales were captured in the 60s. For example that they mostly ate salmon and seals little if at all. One study has suggested the drop in population numbers is mostly attributable to the capture and sale of young females for the Marine Exhibit industry. No only do females do much of the hunting it was also a reduction of the next generations breeding population.

I was a young lad sitting on the rocks in garden bay eating an ice cream cone and watching the captured orcas in net pens.

It's only a convenient theory that boat noise adversely affects whales feeding. Countless observations by many on this site would disagree with that narrative.

Back