Celebration of light fireworks

Does anyone have any experience boating out to English Bay from the launch in Port Moody for the fireworks? I'm wondering if the launch will be too busy to launch in the evening and how is the ride back in the dark. My boat is fully equipped to be out at night so I think it would be an awesome experience. Thanks for any inputs!

Only advice I can offer is get to the event early and try to anchor up front near the warning buoys so no one in front of you.
We also wait at least half an hour after it ends before we leave. Allows all the crazy’s to leave first.
Went last year and it was an amazing night. There was also a Redbull acrobat plane doing tricks before the sun went down.
Have fun!

Last year trying to leave Vanier Park, even after midnight, was a gong show. I find it most enjoyable to stay on the water as long as possible. I really enjoy the fireworks nights, but probably wouldn't make a long run in the dark for it. My slip is as close as you can get to the action so it's a no brainer for us. If it's a clear night with a big moon visibility can be ok, but dark gloomy nights are just an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited:
If anyone is using the Vanier park boat launch, as suggested, once you pull your boat out just sit in your vehicle or leave the boat in the water and stay there for about an hour. The back up is just crazy getting out of there. Even with police controlling the intersections. But it is worth it watching it from the water, I think it’s the best view and also the sound off the water is a chest thumper when the big booms go off.

Back