Cdn Tire Nautilus Booster Pack

Time

Was over at CT today and saw they had a Nautilus Battery Booster Pack on sale at half price for 125.00.
They advertise it as 800 A, and the users manual lists 33 Amp Hour.
Doesn't give a CCA or MCA figure.
Don't know if that would be adequate to have aboard as a reserve power source in event of problems with main battery.
Yes, a two battery set-up would be nice, but space is limited on a small - 16 foot - boat. This would fit nicely in the focsole.

It does have some nice features - USB port for cell phone, inverter to run your blender at cocktail time, and a small compressor to blow up your rubber companion doll (I guess).

But, being CT I'm a bit leery of some of their branded products.

Anybody have experience with these?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...P/MotoMaster+Nautilus+Battery+Pack,+800+A.jsp

I have one - a cheaper version from Canadian Tire that I also got on sale: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...er+Eliminator+700A+Booster+Pack.jsp?locale=en

Like you, I have a 16 foot boat with a single battery. We were at Port Renfrew and upon launching discovered that our battery had died. The booster worked perfectly, and got us started several times. So far, so good. I think the booster is a must when you only have one battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine has owned a couple of them over the years. Both were prizes in fishing derbys. Aparently both packed it
in after only minimal use. They just wouldn't hold a charge after a while. I own a "Stanley" brand booster pack that I
bought from CT as well. It's a 500 amp,22 amp/hr. unit. Got it half price for $65.00 and it's been great. It also has the
USB port and commpressor options. I'd definately recommend that one,and they seem to come up in the flyer quite a
bit.

A friend of mine has owned a couple of them over the years. Both were prizes in fishing derbys. Aparently both packed it
in after only minimal use. They just wouldn't hold a charge after a while. I own a "Stanley" brand booster pack that I
bought from CT as well. It's a 500 amp,22 amp/hr. unit. Got it half price for $65.00 and it's been great. It also has the
USB port and commpressor options. I'd definately recommend that one,and they seem to come up in the flyer quite a
bit.

bit.

The instructions say it's very important to fully charge the unit every three months, whether you have used it or not, to ensure a reasonable life. I have been doing that and we'll see what happens. I've only had mine for about 6 months.

Thanks for the comments.
After reading these, plus the one's on the CT site, plus other inferences, I think I'll pass on this.
Good concept, but usual CT cheapening suggests not all parts will function for what I expect to be a reasonable working life.
Couldn't find much on the battery itself except it may or may not be made by Exide.
Back to swapping out the battery after 3 years, whetever shape it appears to be in.

I keep a fully charged regular high cranking amp backup battery and jumper cables on board and put a trickle charger on it once in a while. This is in addition to my duel battery start system batteries which I replace frequently and then keep the best of the ones being replaced for the backup. It is only money and if you can't get your motors started in a bad situation, all the money in the world is not going to do you any good if you are not around to spend it.

Back