cb antenna

tubbed out

I have a Cb radio in my shop I thought Id put in my new ride . Do you guys think I am ok to use the old Firestick antenna I used for off roadin ????Or do I need to buck up and get a marine antenna ???
Its a 4 ft plastic coated antenna mounted on a spring to absorb the shocks , is it to short ??? If it is will this just lower the range I will get ?????

Don't know what a firestick is, but most antennas used for vehicles use the vehicle as part of the antenna. The antenna ground is usally connected to the vehicle and there is only the centre wire connection of the coax that goes to the antenna itself. The vehicle provides the ground plane. On a boat the antenna is often mounted near fibre glass and is a fair bit above the water which provides the ground plane. With your antenna is there a connection for the shield of the coax to the antenna itself? This might give you a hint of whether the antenna will work.

If you look at marine antennas the coax is generally permanetly connected at the antenna end. On car antennas the coax usually solders on to the antenna or there is a coaxial connector.

If you have access to an SWR bridge, try it. If the transmitter will load into the antenna and the SWR is reasonable it may be ok. If the transmitter is not happy it will probably not give you any output.

Back