Catching my first fish at Garry Point

numeric13579

It's my first time fishing. At a recent camping trip, a buddy introduced me to fishing and I wanted to try it out. So I bought a 6ft fishing rod, 6lb test line, hooks, weights, a bobber.

I'm in Richmond, so I went to Garry Point where I understand Northern Pikeminnow lurk, and I spent my evening at one of the crescent beaches casting into the middle and beside the rocks. I cast by simply whipping the line out there. I tried using a spoon and tried using bait. I tried leaving the bait out there for a while. I tried reeling in the spoon slowly. Left empty handed.

I'll try again another weekend but before I go, I'd like some advice. My goal is to simply catch my first fish, any species. That said:
  • Where is a good place in Garry Point or elsewhere in Richmond to try to catch something?
  • What time is good? I've heard the two hours surrounding high tide.
  • How should I be setting up my rig? Bait or lure?
  • How long should I expect to be fishing, if I do it right, before my first catch?
  • Any other guidance?
Thanks for suggestions.

Last edited:
It's my first time fishing. At a recent camping trip, a buddy introduced me to fishing and I wanted to try it out. So I bought a 6ft fishing rod, 6lb test line, hooks, weights, a bobber.

I'm in Richmond, so I went to Garry Point where I understand Northern Pikeminnow lurk, and I spent my evening at one of the crescent beaches casting into the middle and beside the rocks. I cast by simply whipping the line out there. I tried using a spoon and tried using bait. I tried leaving the bait out there for a while. I tried reeling in the spoon slowly. Left empty handed.

I'll try again another weekend but before I go, I'd like some advice. My goal is to simply catch my first fish, any species. That said:
  • Where is a good place in Garry Point or elsewhere in Richmond to try to catch something?
  • What time is good? I've heard the two hours surrounding high tide.
  • How should I be setting up my rig? Bait or lure?
  • How long should I expect to be fishing, if I do it right, before my first catch?
  • Any other guidance?
Thanks for suggestions.
We lived Richmond for 24 years and so I know Garry point well. The river is very silty and extremely fast there plus big tides to contend with. I never saw anyone catch a fish there but then I hardly ever saw anyone try and fish in that murky current. I think you are wasting you time at Garry point.
The only place I ever saw anyone catch anything in the river in Richmond was up the river a bit, fishing from the docks above the town of Steveston. (Where all the expensive condos are on the former fish plant site). Some guys fish with bobber and worm in the calmer waters there - it is almost like a slough at this point, especially at slack tide since it is sheltered by the island opposite. I believe the fish they catch are called "poor cod".
Personally I think your best chance of catching a fish in Richmond is in some of the drainage channels. Many contain quite large carp. If you do not have a European heritage you might not know how to fish for carp, but there is loads of information on the Web. There is a decent channel accessible from the road at some points at the bottom of N0.4 road and along Finn Road.
BTW if you do chase the carp, go up to at least 8lb line and maybe 10lb as the carp can get quite large and fight very hard. Good luck!

Go to a sandy bar anywhere on the South arm and throw out a bar rig with dew worms. You'll catch lots of staghorn sculpins, chub, suckers, and the occassional small sturgeon. Single eggs for coho(fall) and dollies, which are closed, I would think.
Englishman, brown bullheads(catfish), small carp, pennies, nails, bottle caps all look cool to a ten year old when the train rolls over them. Finn slough was a major bike trip. We spent lots of time in the ditches along Shell road south of Stev. hwy fishing off farmers bridges. Just a short stick with line and a lead shot and hook. It's mostly industrial/retail now.

Back