Catching herring with cast net? News/details on spawn observations?

I am going to be back on the Island Monday and would love to take the kids out to catch some Herring. Feel like this is a stupid question, but not going to let that stop me, how do you catch them when they are spawning, or anytime really?

I am going to be back on the Island Monday and would love to take the kids out to catch some Herring. Feel like this is a stupid question, but not going to let that stop me, how do you catch them when they are spawning, or anytime really?
Get some sabiki rigs. Can also throw a cast net.

Nice. I think the boys (6 and 8) are going to love catching them. What's the best way to get on them? I could take the boat out from Ganges Harbour, Saltspring Isl on Monday, but it sounds like the spawn is mostly between Parksville and Comox and Hornby Isl. We were going to take the tent camper and mountain bikes to camp in Parksville next Wednesday. Would we be likely to find them from shore or dock in the area next week, or should I swap out the tent trailer for the boat and launch in French Creek?

Its over!

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Herring - Roe: Gill Net,
COMMERCIAL - Herring - Roe: Seine,
COMMERCIAL - Herring - Roe: Test Fishery

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0245-COMMERCIAL - Herring - Roe: Gill Net - Strait of Georgia - Closure - March 15, 2024

The roe Herring Gill Net fishery in the Strait of Georgia, announced in FN0232
which began March 13, 2024, will close today, March 15, 2024 at 15:30 hours.

Variation Order No. 2024-SOG-HG-001 is revoked.

Went out to Nanaimo again today. Spawning is on going now. Got 1/2 of a bucket of herrings. Baked a few for the family and brine a few for halibut.

Back