cannon balls

• Thread starter Thread starter reel easy
  • Start date Start date
R

reel easy

Has anyone tried those disk type cannon balls, concept seems good, less drag because of the shape and won't spin, also good, but how do they track, do they get pushed in and out more than round balls when the tide is running, and pushing you sideways, you Juan de Fuca boys will know if anyone does. Lyle

i use the pancake style weight with S.S. fin, and they work good
you have to make sure the fin has a slight bend to the left or right
depending on which side the weight is used on.
many believe the round balls are best with less twist
on the wire, but having used both, i find little difference.

scotty

I have long preferred the round balls due to the fact that you I can judge the trolling speed better. The disk weights cut through the water thus giving the cable less of an angle. Just my humble opinion.

TT

quote:
i use the pancake style weight with S.S. fin, and they work good
you have to make sure the fin has a slight bend to the left or right
depending on which side the weight is used on.
many believe the round balls are best with less twist
on the wire, but having used both, i find little difference.

scotty

What he said.

I find the pancake weights harder to fish at depth due to the fact they are more affected by current.

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

i dunno, i have been fishing winter springs at 140-180'
and those weights work well.
unless.... you get the wrong bend in the fin (stepped on one accidently)
then "watch out" , cuz they will track into each other.

scotty

I use the pancake ones as well (my mould) and have fished them down to 200 plus and on swiftsure with no problem. think its a personal thing.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf

Most of my winter fishing is Sansum Narrows and there is a lot of changes in bottom and direction(tight turns).Lots of gear lost there.And some heavy currents .Maybe thats the difference.

I use to use the round cannon balls but a friend makes his own and gave me a set and they work awesome. They are like a pankake but more round like a slightly flatened ball with the long thick fin as part of the mold. Have had to get use to the fact they almost always track straight up and down, so can't judge speed from the angle of the wire. However when you counter says your @ 50 feet you are very close to 50 feet. The best part is they are approx 12 lbs each but act like there 15 lbs+ even in very strong tides.

Cheers ME

Happy Hookin!!!

I havn't used the flat style for years but after listening to you guys I think I will give them another try.Do you folks dip them for electric insulation(electric current)?

Brooke email me with your # when you see the ones I got I think you will really want a set and I have two more sets on order. Blue Orca uses the sharks and loves them, but there pretty pricey.

Cheers ME

Happy Hookin!!!

Back