Can I troll a chroni?

kunni

I was told trolling chroni's around now works well, does anyone have any experience with fishing chironomids in this way?

kunni

Yes, I found out accidentally while moving spots. I was kicking along in my pontoon quite slowly and wound up hooking a fish. It doesn't always work but I love to screw around on slow days and sometimes you are pleasantly surprised.

Small trout will hit anything. If I had to guess the ones your getting are the smaller stocker type. But anything is possible!

-KK

small, aggressive, fish will pretty much hit anything at any speed at any depth. Larger, quality fish want, the right size, colour, depth, and speed (which is very very slow)....especially for chronies. Sometimes when beginning to move to a new spot will trigger a strike as the fly is moved into the feeding zone of the fish...or the sudden movement triggers the strike. Better off anchoring and casting when using chronies...trolling you're better off using attractor or leech patterns. Trolling micro-leeches can be productive when trolling slowly. Years ago..I used Doc Spratleys as my searching pattern....then changed to leeches and micro-leeches.

i did well trolling a "S" pattern on windless days with chronies. the trick seemed to be stopping, waiting 30 seconds, then going again for 30 seconds. Stop-Go-Stop. hooked plenty in prospect that way.

Cant say it was more effective then leaches, but it was fun.

Ya can't say I hooked any trophies biggest being about 18". Have to agree that a gold bead micro leech in olive or black is my most successful searching pattern by far. Get the odd monster on them while trolling as well.

I tried it today at prospect, and did pretty well, 2 fish trolling the chronies, 2 on green buggers, and 2 on a small plug

kunni

I hit Langford today, tried wooly buggers, chronies, not even a hit. Switched to gang troll and lures, nothing. Tried power bait off the bottom, nothing. Just not my day I guess but sure was nice out.

Back