Campbell River Pinks 2021

winephart

Crew Member
Looks like the season is rapidly approaching. I've been out prospecting some of my usual places on the river with my 6 wt. There is the odd fish coming in but there doesn't appear to be any schools.
Was out on Wednesday and fished 6 different parts of the river. Hooked and released 2 small pinks over 6 hours. I think those fish were outliers and no indicative of the start of the fishery. Still no reports of pinks being caught in the salt chuck up island.

Looks like the season is rapidly approaching. I've been out prospecting some of my usual places on the river with my 6 wt. There is the odd fish coming in but there doesn't appear to be any schools.
Was out on Wednesday and fished 6 different parts of the river. Hooked and released 2 small pinks over 6 hours. I think those fish were outliers and no indicative of the start of the fishery. Still no reports of pinks being caught in the salt chuck up island.
If you have an update,would appreciate reading it,hopefully it will turn on soon(if not already)....

I walked the river today saw a couple guys fishing talked to one guy who said he had been there all day and rolled one fish. Talked to another who has fished it hard for two days and nothing. You have done well by all means lol

I heard the pinks were jumping in Hardy Bay a few days ago so they should be making their way down island soon

I was down by the lower bridge tonight and saw some fish jumping caught two and counted 13 seals in between the two lower bridges not sure the fish even stand a chance with that gontlet to get through.
The pinks showed up in full force up and down the river. Lots of fish and lots of seals too.

Was up in campbell river on Thursday and stopped by the river to see what was happening.

Pinks are certainly showing up. saw lots landed in the hour I stopped by. all quite chrome, most with lice still. Heard rumor that the cysts are bad in them this year however.

Was up in campbell river on Thursday and stopped by the river to see what was happening.

Pinks are certainly showing up. saw lots landed in the hour I stopped by. all quite chrome, most with lice still. Heard rumor that the cysts are bad in them this year however.
Deep water bay is loaded with pinks haven’t seen them with unusual marks on them there. Weird they do on the river!!!!
caught some very nice wild coho as well this morning!!!!! Not clipped nice to release though

Deep water bay is loaded with pinks haven’t seen them with unusual marks on them there. Weird they do on the river!!!!
caught some very nice wild coho as well this morning!!!!! Not clipped nice to release though
From what I have heard it tends to happen the closer they get to fresh water, The cysts (parasites) are inside the flesh. totally harmless to consume but gross. Do not consider myself an expert on this topic, so if someone else knows more maybe they can chime in!

From what I have heard it tends to happen the closer they get to fresh water, The cysts (parasites) are inside the flesh. totally harmless to consume but gross. Do not consider myself an expert on this topic, so if someone else knows more maybe they can chime in!
Wow thanks the I info . That does sound gross.

There today....the Campbell and Qunisum rivers are full of chrome and slightly colored fish. Go out and catch some.......small light gear is best with light leaders/small hooks.

Got out to the Campbell today with my 4wt. Fished between the 2 low bridges.
Hooked and released a couple of pinks. Then I got hammered by a big spring. 30 seconds later I was tying on a new tippet and fly. First cast and I was hooked to a spring again.
Gave it up when I realized there were a half dozen springs out front of me.
Usually this doesnt happen for another 2 weeks.
Nothing wrong with a healthy population of springs.

They are worthy of not being harassed in the last few weeks of their lives, it's amazing they have made so far.........let it be

Got out to the Campbell today with my 4wt. Fished between the 2 low bridges.
Hooked and released a couple of pinks. Then I got hammered by a big spring. 30 seconds later I was tying on a new tippet and fly. First cast and I was hooked to a spring again.
Gave it up when I realized there were a half dozen springs out front of me.
Usually this doesnt happen for another 2 weeks.
Nothing wrong with a healthy population of springs.
Good on you !!!!

Not sure how to take these posts. One person , seemingly, chiding me for fishing pre-spawn salmon. And another complimenting me?

Not sure how to take these posts. One person , seemingly, chiding me for fishing pre-spawn salmon. And another complimenting me?
It’s not like you targeted the chinook in the river ???? You can’t help what fish swims in your drift. Never mind these guys. There are 200 guys fishing the river at some point someone will hook a chinook. You did the right thing by moving or stopping your casts after you realized some spawning chinook moved I front of you. I also highly doubt you targeted chinook with a 4 wt. lots of the other guys fishing the river wouldn’t have done what you did so as I said good on you. Everyone one will have an opinion!!!! As long as your happy with your decision. That’s all that matters.

Nothing personal Winephert, I' guess maybe I'm getting soft in my old age....I'm sure I would have loved to have hooked those springs in my younger days too
Tight lines dude !!!

Back