Calibrating a torque wrench.

Aquaholic

Crew Member
Vancouver or lower mainland based please. Where would you send your torque wrench to get it recalibrated? Mine has not been done in decades. Old school Craftsman model before the quality changed.

Westcoast tool in Burnaby or Surrey. Or just make a click noise when you think the bolt is tight enough. Are you doing engine work?
Always some sage advice from my Glazier buddy! Just want to start using it for prop changes, lower leg oil changes too, be nice to have the proper torque applied.

You likely need two different torque wrenches for that. Props vary depending on manufacturer - some are just snug + to get it into the next slot in the castle nut. Others are specific and need up near 70-80ft/lbs (likely 1/2" drive) - check your owner's manual. Tightening the oil drain bolts is going to be only a few ft/lbs and you are looking at a 1/4" drive torque wrench. Most torque wrenches are only good within a specific range. You aren't going to find something that's accurate for both 15ft/lbs and 80ft/lbs.

Unfortunately all my torque wrenches are from 'after the quality changed'.

Last edited:
My Snap-On torque wrenches say they are good for 7000 cycles before calibration. More than a lifetime for me. Some tools like torque wrenches are worth it to buy a quality product. But not necessary for prop changes. Save the torque wrenches for engine work IMO.

You likely need two different torque wrenches for that. Props vary depending on manufacturer - some are just snug + to get it into the next slot in the castle nut. Others, are specific an need up near 70-80ft/lbs (likely 1/2" drive) - check your owner's manual. Tightening the oil drain bolts is going to be only a few ft/lbs and you are looking at a 1/4" drive torque wrench. Most torque wrenches are only good within a specific range. You aren't going to find something that's accurate for both 15ft/lbs and 80ft/lbs.

Unfortunately all my torque wrenches are from 'after the quality changed'.

Merc manual lists all the torque specs for doing maintenance including 55 ft lbs. for prop torque with the newer style as shown.

IMG_9270.png

Back