c dory

bigsbee

I'm thinking of purchasing a 16 ft C Dory angler. They seem difficult to find at a good price and the folks on the wesite C brats seem to have an almost unhealthy relationship with there boats. That being said do any of you folks out there have any input about this boat. I would be using it on the local salt chuck, Sansum, Polier etc and the odd trip to Renfrew. Thanks.

C dory a very well made boats! They are dory so they get up on step at low speeds and need minimal hp. They with out a doubt have a cult following and the best boat owner forum online hands down. www.c-brats.com will have every answer that you can think of and will be a great resource for you before you buy one. They also have boat for sale forum. I love the salty look of these boats.

Thanks JAC and High Five. I know with a 16 ft boat you have to pick the weather out in the open water. I do love the look of these boats. I am still trying to make up my mind, Arima ? Seaswirl? ....aluminum... North River? Hewescraft?......I'm guessing a real bargain up here or south of the boarder will male up my mind. It's gotta catch fish!

Take a look at the 17' Arima Sea Chaser. I can vouch for their sea worthiness, I have a '85. Check out arimaowners.com.

The Arima has, in my opinion as the owner of a SC16, the better cockpit layout, but it's been a while since I've seen a 16' Cdory.
17 Arima is a good step up if you want to do Renfrew or outside Porlier, but for knocking about in Cow Bay, Samsun, etc. and off Sooke, the 16 is perfectly adequate.
Mine's laid up for the winter now, but in the spring I'd take you for a ride if desired.

Arima all the way! :)

There's a 17ish Arima with new Yammy power across the back fence from my backyard. An old guy had it, he passed and left it to to the current owner (I think his son). Been sitting there in the garage for about 2 or 3 years now. A damn shame. The thing going to waste IMO.

Yeah for the money, I would go with the arima in the size range you are looking for. I found the smaller C-dory to be a little on the tippy side compared to the arima. I have owned a 17 foot arima and it was a great fishing platform.

Thanks guys for all your input. I have heard nothing but good about the Arima plus they
are easier to find than the C dory and a little cheaper for a second hand. I've had Bellingham Boatland looking for me for a while and if a 17 ft seachaser comes up I think I'll jump on it. Thanks for the offer of the ride Time, if I'm still looking in the spring I'll give contact you. If you talk to the people behind you kildonan, I'd be interested in talking about their Arima if they plan on selling it.

Depending on how much work you want to do...you can find an old hull and do a fairly easy restoration. The hulls do not go bad. No wood, no rot.

I'm thinking of purchasing a 16 ft C Dory angler. They seem difficult to find at a good price and the folks on the wesite C brats seem to have an almost unhealthy relationship with there boats. That being said do any of you folks out there have any input about this boat. I would be using it on the local salt chuck, Sansum, Polier etc and the odd trip to Renfrew. Thanks.

I'm one of those C-brats with an "almost unhealthy relationship with my boat" :D But hey I only take the boat fishing when she wants it. It's not like I force her to do anything she doesn't "want to do" :o.

I've had a 22' C-Dory and currently own a 25.5' Tomcat. Both C-Dory and Arima are good, well made, utilitarian boats. Arima has more V and will probably ride better in the chop. C-Dory is a bit flatter and will probably get slightly better fuel mileage. For a pure fishing machine, I think the Arima is a better boat in the 16-17' size range. For something that's a combination cruiser/fishing boat, the 22' C-Dory is hard to beat.

Bigsbee, I was looking in Seattle's craig'slist and saw a few Arima boats. Just in case you're still looking.
Ray

Back