Brooks Bay/Solander Island info

N2013

Working on a bucket list trip with a buddy and we’re hoping on making a trip down around the Brooks Penninsula next year. Hoping there’s someone out there whose fished that area and wouldn’t mind passing on some knowledge. Send me a PM if possible.
Thx

That area has always bewitched me....it sounds like Cape Caution on steroids when it comes to wind acceleration around headlands ....

This is from a storm back in 2011, where “PK” = peak winds:

1D168411-0037-4E05-80E4-236FD07F29D5.jpeg

I also found mention of a “PK” at Solander during a January storm in 2018 that indicated 106 KM :eek:

As the Spanish say.....when boating in the Explorer Region, tienne mucho cuidad!

Working on a bucket list trip with a buddy and we’re hoping on making a trip down around the Brooks Penninsula next year. Hoping there’s someone out there whose fished that area and wouldn’t mind passing on some knowledge. Send me a PM if possible.
Thx
WhenI worked for a company that often flew over the West Coast of Vancouver Island, I had a. rare opportunity to fly over Solander Island. It was in a helicopter and was a calm wind day. Nothing there except moss and I would say the same size as Secretary Island. As far as Brooks goes, I was also told that its a hot bed for Black bears. Many pilots will not flyover the peninsula because of unpredictable winds on the other side whether that is south or north. The other thing I can say about the fishing grounds is that the north side is hot for salmon but the structure and the uncertainty of the weather makes it a short lived experience. If you venture out there, please give your feedback about your experience.

I have fished Solander many times over the years, usually leave Winter Harbour to go down there when the water is flat and winds are less than 5 knots, if you are down there fishing and the wind picks up to 10 knots its not long before it gets to15 to 20 or more and you do not want to be there.So my rule is as soon as the wind comes up to 10 or more I am heading back.

Thx
Been there loved it! Not fishing that day but making way to Walters cove next leg in a circumnavigation of VI. Stay safe listen to the folks who weigh in if they have worked the waters they will tell you this is a no BS area. Having said that if you get there you will have "memory burn" for the rest of your days! I can never forget the "discussion" go outside of Solander or risk the inside as we surfed downwind. We made the inside of Solander in big troughs, a following sea! a thrill of sea, wind and super cool scenery. (25.5 power) Some say Brooks pen was never covered by ice the last time we cooled down. I would love to poke around the beaches under the historic debris. We have the old time video from 95, good winter watch stuff. If you Go N2013 we would love to see photos and your report. Hint take more video and photos than you think you need cause as we troll down the tide of life you will want to look back!

Attachments

• IMG_1014.JPG
    IMG_1014.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Been around several times. Didn't do any fishing, just exploring. South Brooks used to be one of our favourite places, spectacular beaches and scenery. We were there summer of 2021 and had to give it a pass. The kyuquot band is offering transfer for campers and kayakers from Fair harbour. Every beach was covered in tents, there were people everywhere, we had a hard time finding an anchorage that didn't already have people on the beach. We had planned to stay in the area for 5-6 days, spent one night in Kyuquot sound and kept going south.

Wow, Corbin—-you just threw a hand-grenade into my dream world....beach party bingo in the Brooks Refugium ——who wouldda thought? And here I was thinking I might plan a trip there next summer instead of going to Central Coast (which is also getting hugely over-subscribed these days)....

I have fished around solander quite a bit over the last few year. Plenty of structure to fish for lings in the area. Be aware that in the summer the area stinks of seal and bird ****. Plenty of salmon opportunities out in front. Have hooked some hali a little bit south.

Wow, Corbin—-you just threw a hand-grenade into my dream world....beach party bingo in the Brooks Refugium ——who wouldda thought? And here I was thinking I might plan a trip there next summer instead of going to Central Coast (which is also getting hugely over-subscribed these days)....
Ya, we were very disappointed. Going forward we will do our usual trip to Barkley in May/June for salmon, but for any longer trips we will head north, direct Shearwater and then work out from there. We were up there for a few weeks this year and then came down on the outside of the island.

Ya, we were very disappointed. Going forward we will do our usual trip to Barkley in May/June for salmon, but for any longer trips we will head north, direct Shearwater and then work out from there. We were up there for a few weeks this year and then came down on the outside of the island.
Been around several times. Didn't do any fishing, just exploring. South Brooks used to be one of our favourite places, spectacular beaches and scenery. We were there summer of 2021 and had to give it a pass. The kyuquot band is offering transfer for campers and kayakers from Fair harbour. Every beach was covered in tents, there were people everywhere, we had a hard time finding an anchorage that didn't already have people on the beach. We had planned to stay in the area for 5-6 days, spent one night in Kyuquot sound and kept going south.
Interesting that it was so busy. We do a day trip up every year when in Kyuquot and have only ever run into a person once and that was a guy who was doing a solo kayak trip around the island. We let him join our BBQ and the UK resident was VERY appreciative.

Lots to do with the local debris such as float bocce and toilet seat horseshoes.

1638294836446.png

1638294882609.png

The beaches are spectacular; looking south towards Kyuquot.

1638295197458.png

Last edited:
Interesting that it was so busy. We do a day trip up every year when in Kyuquot and have only ever run into a person once and that was a guy who was doing a solo kayak trip around the island. We let him join our BBQ and the UK resident was VERY appreciative.

Lots to do with the local debris such as float bocce and toilet seat horseshoes.

View attachment 72707

View attachment 72708

The beaches are spectacular; looking south towards Kyuquot.

View attachment 72710
We were surprised too. There were also camps set up with cleaning crews to pick up all the flotsam, they had huge piles everywhere. As soon as we rounded I noticed color on the beach, we were like, WTH. I would say there were maybe 30 tents and at least 50 people were visible. Also about a dozen kayaks moving up and down the shore. There were kayakers on most beaches in the Bundby's too. We spent a night in Battle Bay and then headed south.

Last time were were there, several years ago, we had the whole place to ourselves for four days.

Attachments

• Brooks.JPG
    Brooks.JPG
    328.1 KB · Views: 60
Back