Brine or not?

bullyjack

headin out for 3 days for the longweekend. Should i brine the herring and anchovie and pull them out as i need them? I pickedup some prerigged teaser heads and they have a single treble hook, are these legal?

Yes brine your bait for sure.
Yes a treble is legal, use for your anchor hook, a single trailer can help with short biters.
As always pinch the barbs as many of the pre ties come with barbs.

Good luck man

A little Mrs Stewart's bluing in a Tupperware container with some coarse salt and a little distilled water. Keep it in the cooler and your bait will last for days. I usually brine a pack of anchovies and a pack of herring in the same container so you have the option on the water.

I always run a treble (with pinched barbs) on an anchovy teaser and 2 singles on your cut plug rig. Run a teaser on one side and a cut plug on the other. And ALWAYS with a dummy flasher. But I'm up north. Not sure how the guys do it down south. I see a lot of guys running in line flashers but I never do...

I always brine bait. I am fond of scents such as garlic & anise oil. Powdered milk brightens the scales.

I was wondering about garlic scent too! I just purchased some Pro-Cure Garlic-Crawfish scent while it was on sale. I am worried it will overpower my lures/bait...

I guess my question is, does garlic really work for salmon? I was planning on injecting a little bit into my anchovies and herring.

I have fished my anchovy teasers with 2 single "mooching" hooks for about 20 years now - I believe the action is better; I get a wider more erratic roll. I use 4/0 in front & 5/0 for the trailer which swings free.

Played with some scents over the years and never had much luck. Enise oil, Garlic, Rosemary I think it was ?? Didn't seem to make a difference. A couple years back I tried the Pro Cure, Chartreuse glow and had darn good luck with it. Not sure if it was coincidence but they were taking it over a non brined bait. Definetly plan on running it one one side this year.

Back