Braided line for bottom fishing

MR fisher

I'm looking for recommendations for which braided line I should choose. I bought a couple of entry-level bottom fishing setups but I need to spool both reels with line. My plan is to use them for drift fishing halibut and Ling cod cod on the west coast of the island. I'm just looking for basic durable line, while minimizing costs.

Could even go with 30-40 lb. braided line if you wanted less drag in the water to get less belly in your line.
I won't have an anchor set up this year, so it might be important to minimize the line diameter to keep my gear close to the bottom while drifting. Is that lighter line still going to pull through snagging jigs on the bottom?

I won't have an anchor set up this year, so it might be important to minimize the line diameter to keep my gear close to the bottom while drifting. Is that lighter line still going to pull through snagging jigs on the bottom?
you need a piece of lighter mono tied on the braid so it will break when hung up especially if you are using 60+. 80 will anchor you and you would need to tie to a cleat to break free

Power Pro makes a colour-marked braid called Depth Hunter. New colour every 25 ft so it's easy to see how deep you are. Costs very little extra compared to regular, gives options for mid water jigging for salmon. Say you see bait at 100 ft in 200 ft of water, you let out 4 colours and then start jigging up through the bait. Saves time over dropping to bottom and then jigging all the way up.

you need a piece of lighter mono tied on the braid so it will break when hung up especially if you are using 60+. 80 will anchor you and you would need to tie to a cleat to break free
I don't use mono leader.
Most times when I'm snagged good ill cleat it and usually it will come loose and straighten the hook. Cheaper than loosing gear everytime.

I spooled 65lb power pro on the reel I used out of Esperanza a couple weeks ago and was very happy with the performance - held bottom a lot easier then buddies with heavier during drift fishing up to 300’. Ended up running 40lb mono leader to mitigate jig tangles. I didn’t loose any gear, though if snaggy it could be a risk.

Attachments

• IMG_8516.jpeg
    IMG_8516.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I know lots of guys wit rip me for saying it. But I use cheap 65lbs braid from Amazon. Got lots of ling and Hali using it tho

Ali-express braid works used it now for 10 years plus of various brands 8x -16 strand green/ grey / red/ purple .
reels and downriggers

3000m of 50lb X8 strand $82 .00 inc of shipping to the post box

Reaction tackle braid is great in No fade Red. I just run 20lb braid for all my bottom fishing and 40lb for hali

Just checked the cost. Crazy cheap. Any downside?
The Reaction Tackle line I got from Amazon has a thick wax type coating. It got all over my spooler and rod, and will eventually build up on and in your reel.

J-Braid x8 is pretty nice, recommend a strong 3' monofilament leader to take the chafing and abuse, it is also nice to grab when the fish is at the surface. I use Jenkai 300lb.

Saltiga 20 Lever Drag / J-Braid x8 65lb
1000009745.jpg

Back