Bottom Paint questions

Tips Up

Going to redo the bottom paint on my boat. Mostly for cosmetic reasons as the original paint is mostly worn off.

Boat is 17.5 Double Eagle. Kept on trailer and only moored the odd weekend here and there.

Should I use an ablative paint or a hard paint?
Anyone with knowlege or experiance doing this?

Thanks
Tips

Just a thought, if its' stored most of the time on the trailer
maybe just remove the rest of the bottom paint and buff up the gel coat ?

Scuff the existing with a scotch pad or light sanding.. Tape off a new water line and re-apply a coat of bottom paint..

if you want the easy answer its, pressure wash the bottom, scuff up with green scrotchbrite pad and slap on bottom paint - go fishing the next day. Or you can spend hours and hours trying to restore the original gel coat.

I'm going to scrub it and paint it. Pretty easy job.
Just looking for input on type of paint. Ablative or hard paint.
Seems to be a ton of brands out there and some are ablative, semi ablative or hard.

Thanks

I've always been told to use the same paint type as the original.

Recently did my 16.5 D.E. with Interlux Micron CNC. It's an ablative type bottom paint ,and came highly recommended
from a guy who works for B.C. Ferries maintinence crew. This is what they use on the entire fleet,with exellent
results. Expensive though,at $85.00 a quart,but sometimes you get what you pay for!

Micron csc would be your best option. It is an ablative paint and can sit out of the water indefinetley. Most of the the hard cheaper paints "dry out" if the stay out of the water to long.You should be able to find it for about $60.00 per litre.

Going to redo the bottom paint on my boat. Mostly for cosmetic reasons as the original paint is mostly worn off.

Boat is 17.5 Double Eagle. Kept on trailer and only moored the odd weekend here and there.

Should I use an ablative paint or a hard paint?
Anyone with knowlege or experiance doing this?

Thanks
Tips

Is your current paint ablative or hard?

For the salt... I prefer ablative. If it is hard and/or ablative I would use ablative. If it is currently ablative I would NOT use hard, as reversing hard over ablative won't stick! It will actually come off in blotches and strips.

Another thumbs up on the ablative and Micron CSC. The other nice thing is that once applied, doing it again is dead simple. Power wash the bottom and roll on -- no more scrubbing or sanding. I find the Micron CSC will last me 2 full years with the boat moored in the water full time.

Another thumbs up on the ablative and Micron CSC. The other nice thing is that once applied, doing it again is dead simple. Power wash the bottom and roll on -- no more scrubbing or sanding. I find the Micron CSC will last me 2 full years with the boat moored in the water full time.
X2 TenMile!! The stuff is awesome.I've had mine moored for no more than 2-3 weeks at a time and it comes out with
absolutely no growth whatsoever. Can't say the same thing for when I was using the cheaper "BottomKote" sh#t!!

Back