Boston Whaler

Fishallspec

Ok before I was looking at a Campion 542.Now I'm getting serious,center console Boston Whaler 170 Montauk, or the Campion 492(alot cheaper and more storage).I'm going this route because ,the primary use is fishing pretty much all year round.I don't want to go bigger 'cause I like to keep it in the garage.Whalers come with a 90hp Merc , and I here mixed reveiws on them compared to a Yammie or Honda.This site HAS some really dedicated people to the sport and I allways enjoy the feed back that people have to offer.THX.

The campion is more versatile,pulling kids around water skiing.Both nice boats.

thanks the runt

have you given any thought to aluminum?Lots of choices.center console or closed bow.What I like about them is the versatility.No worry about gelcoat chips.Haulin traps or trailering to west coast.Flyin down those logging roads is not a worry.Launching off a beach?No dock,no problem.Pull er up on the beach for clams/oysters.Ocean or lake.Rugged welded aluminum.
Try that with a fiberglass boat.

it must be something in the water

agree with knuckle i have a double eagle , evereytime i trailer 2 west coast i gotta tarp off the haul and i can`t beach it , it sucks but i love her anyway , aluminum is great

tight lines

I have to agree with knucklebuster. Welded aluminum is the way to go. More freeboard, wider and lighter. You can go with a lot less hp compared to a campion. And best of all...NO WORRIES!:)

I own a whaler, same hull as the montauk but no center console and a 50 hp yammie. Uses little gas, cheap to run, stable boat, fits into my garage and easy to trailer. When the weather is bad I wish I had canvas or a hard top to get under. On nice days and having to trailer long distances I love the boat. A montauk hull has the benefit of stability, very well made/solid, but you notice heading into any seas/chop. A 90 is more than enough horse power; I would check the engine over well particularly if it has lots of hours. Check out www.continuouswave.com website for info on whalers.

Fishallspec,

I've got a Campion 542, it's my first boat, so no real reference, but I love it. Campion seems like a great boat for both the salt chuck and the fresh water. Little heavier to trailer I image than aluminum, but on a tandum tailer I don't even know it's behind me. Mind you a 350 Chev sucks fuel regardless. On the water it tends to porpoise at speed but my wife and kids like the cuddy and canvas to get out of the cold. Actually my wife really enjoys the trip now, she get cold easily, and a little heater keeps the cabin warm in the winter or on cold days when needed.

The cuddy is convienient to lock up your gear, or for the kids to watch a dvd or nap on a longer trip. I don't know how the center console is set up, but storing gear in the cuddy beats hauling it to the car and into the garage.

The free board is confortable for me to fish and still keeps the kids locked in safely. I really like the toe board you can hook your boots under to keep steady when fishing in rough seas. (Sounds stupid but I really found this a great feature)

I found the wiring easy to access when adding electronics, and the styling is good for both fishing and skiing or tubing. We've got a 115ph merc outboard (2 stroke) and although noisy, it's enough power for my needs. All around a good family boat, but that may not be what you are looking for.

Take this with a grain of salt, as mentioned, it's my first boat and the other guys on this site are more experienced, but I thought I'd put in my two cents worth.

Regadless what you buy, good luck and good boating. They tell me the happiest two days of you life are when you buy a boat and when you sell it. I hope to die only being happy once.

Best Regards
Scooter

Back