Boats sink in the Sooke Basin.

The caption under the pic says they ran aground. That will do it if it is low tide. If they were newbies to the area they probably ran too close to Billings. You have posted several times on the need to stay tight to the South side at all times in the basin!

The caption under the pic says they ran aground. That will do it if it is low tide. If they were newbies to the area they probably ran too close to Billings. You have posted several times on the need to stay tight to the South side at all times in the basin!

I think the paper added that picture and comment after I posted the link originally, but that does make sense. A lot of boats have run aground in the area out in front of the Sooke River Estuary and Billings Spit. It looks niece, wide and inviting but at times is only a few inches deep in places except on the south side close to all the docks. I have wondered why the don't put another green hand buoy there to force those without local knowledge over to the south shore like the one a little past the spit and point when you are heading out. I bet the boats that have run aground in that area must now number in the hundreds. Every year we see boats stopped and checking their leg for damage.

Last edited:
Another green mark would be good, as I think lots of people come round Trollope point and head straight for Sunny Shores. Although I often see people cutting inside the green mark at Eliza Pt as well, early morning low tide. Either they have no idea, or they know exactly, I don't know. I figure it's easier to stay in the marked channel.

Capture.JPG

The issue would be the tidal flow. Where it went down and where it was flushed to will be very different animals. (And that is assuming it is heavy enough to stick to the bottom) My buddy who worked on Rovs doing cable maintenance for years says nothing sinks or falls uphill, if that is any help.

I know of the boat and the people that run it they have navigated the waters for a very long time I assume something else happend. Glad they are all ok

Since it appears no one knows where it sank, since the owners are appealing for info, it could now be a navigation hazard itself, waiting to get yet more boats running from Sunny Shores at low tide!!

Either it sank, floated off partially flooded somewhere in the basin or someone recovered it, pulled it out at a launch or has it at a dock or on a beach. If it sank in those waters there should be some artifacts that floated off and perhaps a little light gas sheen on the surface somewhere, likely in the inner west basin.

I ***** every year when I pay my boat insurance. This is a reminder of why it is a good idea.

Could a recovery company like C-Tow have responded. They can be there fast, possibly stabilize the boat, put out an anchor, possibly ensure it is temporarily safely grounded and possibly recover the boat. Even without insurance and if it cost a few thousand, it would only be a fraction of the value of a boat like that with 3 newer motors.

So what does the Coast Guard, and Police marine units do in those circumstances. The RCMSAR boat was right there, do they take pictures and then go back in once they determine those on board are safe and leave the boat to its fate?. Did they transport the survivors or did the private boat that first responded? Obviously the first priority is the safety and well being of those rescued.
It was clearly either swamped and grounded, swamped and floating or in the process of sinking when the picture was taken. Did it sink quickly after that and could not be towed, beached or stabilized? Was it considered too high risk to attempt to deal with or not within mandate?
Lots of questions, not many answers.

Last edited:
From my memory, Rcmsar would only leave the vessel if c-tow was on scene, and in charge of the vessel and the people were safely on board a "vessel of opportunity". Their priority is to help people and then property if it is in danger. Once it has sunk there is little they can do and it is beyond the mandate of everyone unless it is a hazard to navigation.

Back