Boat width and trailering?

I'm looking at Grady White's right now and the one I really like is the 232 Gulfstream. However, it's a got a beam of 9'3". Many of the boats are for sale with trailers (in the States). Is it possible to trailer this boat in BC? Is there some sort of a law that prohibits trailering anything wider than 8'6"?

yes you can, you can go up too 9'6? I believe, we dont need a permit to haul ours around (which is for sale ;p )

Okay, I also posted this on fishbc.com and I'm being told that I DO need a special permit. Anybody know the definitive answer?

I think I heard somewhere that there is something about the trailer width being 8'6" (farthest outside width of fenders) to be licenced as a boat trailer.

8'6" is the maximum width for the trailer itself. I have been able to determine that. However, I'm wondering if the sides of the boat can hang over the edge a bit? In this case, the boat is about 9" wider than the trailer so they would hang over about 4.5" on each side.

yah thats fine, ive seen my boat and others identical (9'6) beam) being trailered with out permits, ive actually never seen one with a permit..not sure if its legal or not but nobody i know nor my self has even been questioned about it

Ahhh... you've never been ticketed. But what happens if you get in an accident? I bet the insurance company wouldn't be too sympathetic! :)

I have no doubt that I can probably get away with it. What I really want to figure out is the legalities.

Yes you need a permit. But you will not see it for it does not have to be displayed. I have a 252 Grady White Sailfish with a 9'-6' beamand I trailer it. You need one red flag 12" square ( 4$ each from Greggs distributors)on each side and one of the prop if it hangs back more than 4' from the trailer. Permit is 15$ one way, say to the boat launch and another 15$ home. You can also buy monthly permit for 30$ with unlimited hauls. If you travel at night you will need to put lights at the widest point on each side if the trailer lights are not the widest already. I have a light I hang of my twin 200hp for my props are 5-1/2' back from my trailer.I just added a 4pin trailer plug at the back of the trailer.
You get the permit at any scale on the HWY or call If your local inspection station is closed, call the toll-free vehicle permit line at 1-800-559-9688. Staff are available to answer questions and issue permits 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

You must purchase an over width permit for any boat with a wider beam then 8'6" which can be purchased annually for approx $90.00. Although most guys don't if you are in an accident caused by boat or trailer all your insurance is void! You are required to have a min of 4 tie downs two on the bow and two on the stern. You are also required to put four red flags one on each of the corners of the boat for daytime or 4 red lights for night time that is the law in BC and Washington State. I have yet to see anyone ticketed but I would at least get the permit for the what ifs.

Cheers ME

Back