Boat Trailer Tires??

AlK

I am in the market for boat trailer tires (205/75/14). Which brand do you recommend and which brand should I avoid?
Thanks,

Carlisle have worked for me.
Just make sure you get 'trailer tires', not car tires.
Trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls than car tires, makes for better tracking, less sway in trailer while towing.

also get radials, not bias ply.
bias ply tires can develop flat spots
that cause a lumpy ride until warm.

Time,
I have read a lot of bad reports on the Carlisle tires, you obviously have had good look with them.

Don't run them "soft"......many guys will run a 55lb max air trailer tire at say 35lbs. to get a softer less jarring ride out of the trailered boat.

Don't do this.

The tire is designed to run better at harder PSI.

I'd run a 55psi tire at no less than 45 in hot weather.....harder in the cold weather.

"Soft" running will make the tire wear out and fail faster.

Plus also the soft tire eats gas more.

I always inflate the trailer tires to the stated maximum. They run cooler and and it takes less power to pull the trailer.

First of all, pretty much all the trailer tires available are cheaply made junk. There just isn't a big market for them, so the major manufacturers don't put any R&D money into developing quality offerings.

Second of all air pressures. Running at max is a very bad idea. You are far more susceptible to punctures as the tire is like an over inflated balloon, and we all want to avoid dealing with flats when we should be fishing. Being over inflated also reduces the tire's contact patch, negatively affecting traction while cornering or braking, and actually leading to a faster wear rate on the tread itself. As for fuel consumption's relation to psi, yes there is a lower rolling resistance at higher pressures, however a very large increase in air pressure (say of 40 %) will only lead to approximately a 2% reduction in fuel consumption. The rolling resistance is more a factor of casing/tread design than air pressure.

What you need to do is run at the correct pressure for the load the tires area carrying - not grossly over inflated, or under inflated. Provide the tire dealer with a good guess on loaded weight and ask them to look up the recommended psi.

And yes, radials are what you want.

What about balancing trailer tires? How many actually do this? I had all tires on my last trailer balanced but not yet on the new one.

If you run the tires too soft the shoulders will show wear and the middle will still be good. if you run them too hard the middle of the tire will show wear and the shoulders will be good.

If you tend to run the tires on the soft side..and the boat sits for ages on the trailer , it is hard on the cords/sidewalls of the tires.

According to my tire dealer it is better to run them harder than softer.

But as Dragon said......it is a good idea to find the optimal range of psi for the actual weight load.

If you start to notice that the center tread is wearing out while the shoulder tread is in pristine condition you are running them too hard.

Take into account that because of the smaller air volume in a trailer tire they will heat up faster on a "hot" highway...and also they are making more rpm than the tires on your truck or car generally.

I hear you Alk, but the Carlisles on my trailer are original 1998 and still look/run good.
It may be a function of size and weight too. My rig tops out at about 1700 pounds for boat and gear, plus the trailer.

Back