Boat survey for insurance

sudsy

I am looking at insuring my boat this year as i plan on mooring it anually, just wondering if anyone can recommend a marine surveyor? Im new to boat insurance and have read a few threads on the topic, Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

I used Capt. Tony --www.boatsurvey.bc.ca ------reasonable price --good service---and he gave me some pointers about using my radar

I have used Capt.Lyle Wilson ,@ Excalibur Marine Surveyors. He lives in Duncan but is down here lots(Victoria). Was good to deal with and reasonable. 1-866-877-9377

I have been fixing up and fishing various boats in the past 10 years or so. In July 2012 I needed to insure my latest boat, I never had time to get a survey done so I asked my insurance broker for an insurer that didn't require a survey. After 11 calls my broker sent me to Beacon Insurance. I just had to send pictures with discription of boat - price was competative. Here's a link to company based in interior.
http://www.beacon724.com/

thanks alot to everyones help so far, i am definetly going to check out beacon insurance.... After calling around and getting some price quotes im scheduled to get a survey done on Saturday....I decided to go with Meadows Marine Surveyors located in Sydney. They are going to do it for $155 plus HST if i bring the boat to them, otherwise it would have been $265 for them to come to my house and do the survey in my driveway. I will post back on saturday and let everyone know how it went, but from talking on the phone with Lachlan he seems like a good guy, gave me lots of information on the survey explaining all the things they would be checking for.

i HAVE AN aLUMN BOAT AND FEEL THAT INSTEAD OF A mARINE SURVEY (THERE ARE PRESENTLY NO GAPING HOLES IN THE HULL) sorry about the caps! doh! I think a qualifyed personal property appraiser would be money better spent...what are your thoughts given the fact a marine surveyor does not test electrical or mechanical equipment?

After talking with the guy from meadows marine, he clearly stated that things like electrical are looked over to ensure proper wiring (marine grade) are installed, proper gas fittings, hoses etc...among other things like hull and fiberglass rot ectc...:I will know more on Saturday after the survey, I see it as a good investment as this boat was bought last year and I would like to know from a professionals stand point any glaring safety issue that arent apparent to me

Back