Boat registry tax

MongooseX

Back in 2018 i bought a project boat... 1977 22' sang ster .It took me 2 years to pod, new transom and put a outboard on it and get it registered.
I recently got in the mail a letter from ministry of finance asking for taxes on it based on there boat value of 27500... 3300 in taxes and 600 in interest... i bought the boat w trailer for 3500 five years ago needing some work which snowballed.
Anyone else got these letters?

Yup they are on a rampage right now…. All you need to present is the bill of sale for the original purchase. You paid PST on all your supplies so you don’t have to pay a blue book value.
You will need to pay 7% on the original 3500.00 . Don’t pay any more than that and stand firm, these jokers are out of control.

Last edited:
The government is looking for any money they can get now after their spending spree. They came after me earlier this year. Purchased the boat in July 2019.
I had done all the proper paper work so they should have had a record of all the taxes being paid but still put the onus on me to proof I paid. SOBs

Kind of like going back to client 4 years later and telling them they didn't pay you so proof that they did. Luckily I had saved the bill of sale and the transfer papers showing I had paid the tax. FYI on the transfer papers it says you need to keep them for five years. Guess they hope you've lost them or thrown them away.

Hopefully you have a bill of sale and did the trailer transfer. You should only be paying tax on that amount.

Yup they are on a rampage right now…. All you need to present is the bill of sale for the original purchase. You paid PST on all your supplies so you don’t have to pay a blue book value.
You will need to pay 7% on the original 3500.00 . Don’t pay any more than that and stand firm, these jokers are out of control.
I think it’s 12% to the BC Government or at least it was when I bought my boat. If I remember correctly they said they assessed the boat was worth x dollars but would accept a bill of sale If it was different. Took two years to get the bill and then it said 30 days to pay it.

I think it’s 12% to the BC Government or at least it was when I bought my boat. If I remember correctly they said they assessed the boat was worth x dollars but would accept a bill of sale If it was different. Took two years to get the bill and then it said 30 days to pay it.
Yup you are right! Ziggys post spells it all out. Boaters are the new 1 percenters that must be punished….

don't forget that you likely already paid some amount of tax on the trailer, so its 12% of (3500 minus trailer value)

lol their assessment of a 1977 boat, they're out to lunch (I know its worth more now that you've done all the work)

Last edited:
4 years for me to get the letter to pay, what a bunch of monkeys. luckily i have the bill of sale very itemized

I got a free boat for parts one time and because I printed a copy of the ad there was no problem with tax’s. Until 3 years later. Some random tax agent phoned me and said I needed to pay the tax on the trailer! When I argued it came with no trailer she absolutely would not buy that. All boats have trailers she claimed. I ended up paying $24 tax on a trailer I don’t own just to get her off my back.

Back in 2018 i bought a project boat... 1977 22' sang ster .It took me 2 years to pod, new transom and put a outboard on it and get it registered.
I recently got in the mail a letter from ministry of finance asking for taxes on it based on there boat value of 27500... 3300 in taxes and 600 in interest... i bought the boat w trailer for 3500 five years ago needing some work which snowballed.
Anyone else got these letters?
I had the same issue with a sailboat I bought 10 years ago (I registered, but did not pay....assuming they would have come and collected had they wanted to) and they nailed me 5 years back. I tried showing them the invoice but I landed up having to pay both the tax and interest based on their $%^*'d up valuation. All attempts to negotiate or appeal were denied. "It was your responsibility to pay at the time of purchase" was the only response I got.

Back