Boat rebuild

repeat offender

Just getting ready for the up coming season on the weekend and when I was changing out the fuel water seperater (is attached to the inside of my transom) the entire thing pulled right off. After a carefull look at the transome it appears to be compleatly rotten. Well Im looking at other threads about rebuilding it as I like this boat alot however this is NOOOOO job for me to even consider doing myself. On a limited budget of course Im looking for a good shop that can take on this job for me. Details are 1989 215 campoin fishing machine 140 outboard moored in gibsons can take it to lower mainland. No idea on cost hopefully around $5000.oo bucks. Any ideas Thanks

You can do it, just get into it and it all flows together.
there's lots of info on places like : "iboats".
you will be wanting to check your floor for soft spots also!

I did a grady last year and in materials I was about 1200 bucks and a ton of labour, make that 2 tons and i may have shortened my life by about 9 years! Good luck though, atleast when its done you have a better than new boat.

This is why alloy (aluminum) is so attractive. There are custom aluminum hulls out there that have been taken care of that actually "appreciate"!!! Yes custom aluminum hulls actually follow the aluminum market with value. If aluminum goes up on the market so does the hull value of your boat. Try that with ping pong ball boat.

With every boat the power is the major selling factor but with aluminum it's a combination of both the hull and power. Fiberglass degrades with lot's of sun, age, etc. The hull literally degrades over time. Here is a good example of an alloy boat over time.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...Harbor-,-Oxnard/CA/United-States#.UVPIJ1c4Fbo

Yes that is a 1972 hull people. Try getting that with your chlorox bottle boat!!!

Cheers,
John

Trying to get people into alloy boats one post at a time lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bla bla bla aluminum bla bla ...lol
My glass boat doesn't need air ride seats! ;)

Come on man. Your an engineer for petes sakes. Lighter boat equals less fuel burn man. Why haven't you switched or had one built for you yet?

My air ride seats make my gal ride like a glass boat almost.

Cheer's
John

To the OP, sorry for the major hijack. Good luck with your project.

Cheers,
John

I know of the very same turn key boat with new deck and stringers for sale for not much more then your going to spend pm me if interested and I'll pass it along

RO...good luck with your boat, sorry to hear it. If the rot is limited to the transom, it is actually a pretty simple DIY job...doesn't have to be pretty.

As for the side conversation...sorry for the hijack, I have a hard time passing up on an opportunity to trash talk a tin man...but all jokes aside, John I love aluminum boats and yours is a fabulous fishing platform...truth is I can't afford a tin boat that sleeps 4 in comfort, has a stand up head, a full galley and is pretty to look at...all the things needed for my family.

Hookin'up PM Sent. Best Quote so far is a local guy $8000-$9000. Hell Id have to mortgage the farm for that LOL. However I have heard he dose really good work and would be better than New when done. Tin bat would be cool I just bought extra super 7 tix for that. Fingers crossed

Hookin'up PM Sent. Best Quote so far is a local guy $8000-$9000. Hell Id have to mortgage the farm for that LOL. However I have heard he dose really good work and would be better than New when done. Tin bat would be cool I just bought extra super 7 tix for that. Fingers crossed

Might be worth it to you to have someone survey the boat to determine what the extent of the rot is. The cost for a transom only repair is significantly lower than what it would cost to replace the deck and stringers as well.

if the transom is gone chances are pretty high the stringers will be too

if the transom is gone chances are pretty high the stringers will be too

Very true, I've been there done that. The truth is it's almost never worth it financially to pay someone to do this type of repair. You will end up with a great boat but it will be worth less than what you've put into it.

Doing it yourself you can make it worthwhile financially but it's a dirty, itchy, back breaking, labour intensive job.

I did mine the other year. UGLY JOB but worth it in the end. I did it all myself though. If you start paying somebody, 8-9 grand sounds realistic, but sadly the final finished price will be higher still. You better REALLY love the boat if you start down this road.

It's not necessarily true that the stringers will be affected, alot of transom damage is caused by items that have been mounted to it without properly sealing the mounting holes. i.e. transducers.
If there are no soft spots in the floor, the stringers could be in good shape, without opening up small sections and doing a drill test, there is no real way of knowing.

Back