Boat launch

Jencourt

Just read the kitty thread and the chatter is of boat launches or the lack there of. My question to those of you who have been around here for a while is this. Has there ever been a proposal for a proper launch and marina at the Little river site?

I asked this of some one before and they said it will never happen as they do not want pleasure boats coming and going in the ferry lane. I call BS on that right away and will continue to as well! Look at westview harbor and launch and the gov wharf over there in Powell River (westview) for example.Seems to me it would be the perfect spot for a marina and launch. Deep yet in a bay enough to break water it . It would service the rec fishers as well as many of the sail boats head north to desolation and it is a long trip from Comox just to get out into the straight.

Anyway I know nothing of land ownership down there or native claims if there is? All I know is we need better launches and more marina space.

Ray

I don't know about that place....but it seems to me that facilities for the fishing general public have been in a state of decline for some time.

Brechin launch in Nanaimo, is to me a good example of a public facility with the public in mind.

There does not seem to be any interest north of Nanaimo in catering to the fishing public.

Other than Clutesi Haven in Port Alberni.

Could it be that the people who sit on the governing municipal bodies pander to the local charter operators?
Meaning that they'd rather have you pay to go out on a boat from a marina than launch your own boat.

Schooner Cove has long range plans to get rid of their ramp entirely

French Creek is a Mongolian Cluster**** of poor planning....even though they added a few more parking spaces.

Considering that Tourism B.C (and others) will be glad to happily gush about the fishing opportunities all over the place on the coast of B.C., you'd think they would be ready to accomodate the people that pay megabucks to bring their boats up here to fish by encouraging building some worthwhile facilities.

The ramp at Deep Bay is nothing to write home about currently.

Guess theres' no money in boat launches....but there is in marina tie-up fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray-- there have been several attempts to get the Ferry Corporation to agree to letting a launch be built on their (our) land adjacent to the ferry slip. it even goes back to Stan Hagens days in office. Larry and Nick (Courtenay F & G) are still plugging away... but the Regional District, who should be a big player in negotiations with BC Ferries, seems to have no interest at all as soon as the Ferry Corp starts the "liability" bs.

Ralph Shaw tried to stir things up at Kitty, but several articles in the press suggesting a real need for a breakwater at Kitty went nowhere.

That's the whole problem with the governance in this valley. Nothing goes anywhere. Just look at the homeless fiasco, years and years of panels etc. All sorts of money wasted with nothing to show for it. Now they get another $300,000 thrown at them, I wonder how they will waste that. Sorry about the rant but it's just typical of nothing ever getting done that makes sense around here.:(;) eman

Unless it has something to do with Sailing, Kayaking, or Surf Board Padelling the Comox Valley Regional District, or our own Town Council do absolutly nothing for Sports Fishing in the Valley. BC Tourism does not promote Sport Fishing hear either. The average person doesnt even know around here what this place has to offer for Fishing. I guess we need more Sports Fisherman on our Councils. Cuba? Ralph Shaw? A boat ramp down there would be fantastic. Especially when the rip Comox Ramp out for Condos.. Another Beff of mine is why havent they replaced the Pubs that burnt down in this town?? My Bro from Calgary was just here and had a good chuckle about that. No pubs in Comox. City Council here in the Valley needs to support buisness incentives more in this Town. Maybe we should get a petition going Ray for a Boat Ramp?? Not sure myself what I can do but rant on here. Im not a lawyer and dont have the cash to Build a Ramp. If it was for Mt Washington it would be done already.

I'm bumping this thread. Seems to me we are still in need of a good boat launch on the east side of the Comox Valley. I like the ferry spot a lot, but would settle for anything where you can launch a decent size boat at any tide. I grew up fishing out of king coho as a kid. The launch was great most days. Something needs to be done. How much carbon gets burnt running around the Comox bar.

Back