Boat Insurance

Theb55

It might be time to review my boat insurance company. Anyone out there have good or bad news regarding a company. I live on SCVI. Not so certain my company is being up and covering what it can.

I went in to coast capital insurance and they got all my information and gave me 2-3 quotes from 2-3 different companies. Worked out well and got a reasonable price.

Depends on value of boat and coverage of course. I just got my renewal notice I feel like shopping. Can you guys share what you paid? Just curious. There is enough of us on this board that we should be able to get a better deal collectively.

I just want to avoid not getting what I understand i paid for. Companies pay millions to lawyers and underwriters so they can weasel. Companies, in US, declare bankruptcy on big events so insurance is like a Ponzi scheme. At least if many come across a good company that is clear, fair and reliable I have a better chance of collecting.

Depends on value of boat and coverage of course. I just got my renewal notice I feel like shopping. Can you guys share what you paid? Just curious. There is enough of us on this board that we should be able to get a better deal collectively.

Paid $417 on a $40,000 declared value with $500 deductible. Secure storage and no recent claims. I saved $150 by shopping around.

Thanks Foxsea. My policy is for $ 45K (on the boat and main) plus trailer and kicker for another $ 9K. Pretty sure the decuctable is $ 500 as well. I'm paying $ 600.

Dolphin, 35k/500 deductible = $550
I could have got a cheaper insurance policy but it all comesdown to experience; Dolphin specializes in boat insurance, you pay for what youget. In the event of a major problem, I don’t want my insurance company cuttingcorners to save money.

Dolphin, 35k/500 deductible = $550
I could have got a cheaper insurance policy but it all comesdown to experience; Dolphin specializes in boat insurance, you pay for what youget. In the event of a major problem, I don’t want my insurance company cuttingcorners to save money.

I got Dolphin as well and it includes Fishing Gear at $5000 deduct $250 , and this is noted on the policy as FISHING GEAR, hard to find in other policies, usually they omit with a small disclaimer at the end of the policy so if you have fishing gear (and we all do) make sure your policy spells it out or ask your agent. You may not have it and only find out later.
I got Dolphin, its a bit higher than others but I feel its worth it.
That reminds me time renew again

I got Dolphin as well and it includes Fishing Gear at $5000 deduct $250 , and this is noted on the policy as FISHING GEAR, hard to find in other policies, usually they omit with a small disclaimer at the end of the policy so if you have fishing gear (and we all do) make sure your policy spells it out or ask your agent. You may not have it and only find out later.
I got Dolphin, its a bit higher than others but I feel its worth it.
That reminds me time renew again

X3 for Dolphin, AND they cover WCVI w/o any extra premium.

F D

Check your trade area. Many policies only cover WCVI out to 25 miles off shore. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be guessing which side of that line I'm at when trouble finds me.

X4 Dolphin
Cost depends whether you are pleasure or commercial. Dolphin does both. They covered my pleasure boat during shipment from the US with a fixed rider with no limit on time ( included an unplanned month storage in NY) $550 for 40K ( 5K kicker and 5K fish gear) Good for full coast of BC out 50 (or more miles) as I recall and I think even includes Alaska and washington but not sure what US waters included.

The commercial boat is more than double that for similar boat value .

No claims yet thankfully - but thats where you really find out who you can trust.

Last edited by a moderator:
I deal with hub intrnational barton insurance brokers. They are very good to deal with, and I am a believer in you get what you pay for.

X3...Geoff Hope used to be a guide and knows the ins and out. Having the correct policy trumps getting a bargain basement policy

Reading this thread (and the the rates people are paying). It sounds to me like the rates are very similar between insurance companies.

Back