Bleeding fish ...

anorthernhunter

To bleed Hali's, gut their gills or cut the tail on the white side half way through?

Pros/Cons?

Salmon, just their gills?

Advice would be appreciated.

-Northern

Both.. cut the tail down to the bone then snap it. You need to open up the back bone. I did it last week and the blood coming from the tail sprayed all over.

I have a 10 gallon bucket I put all my salmon in with slit Gills. I fill it a quarter of the way with water and leave them in there for about 10 minutes and that seems to get all the blood, then off to the cooler with them

I changed a little this year. We have a pink year on south island so I wanted to try something different. They just get way to soft to fast if left without ice and not gutted for hours.

I bleed salmon in bucket and then take head off and gut with a cleaning trough. Then I ice them. It makes it easier when you get in and you get way better quality. Halibut I am going start bleeding them before taking them in.

DEFIANTLY bleed them out for both , think of it as an animal you need to bleed it out for a way better quality of product and keep COLD
What ive done to bled out my salmon is ive attached a bilge to my trim tab and draw it up to my huge coleman cooler thats on a bracket hanging off the back of my boat, drilled a hole on the top part of the cooler and put a thru hull fitting in it hose just slips in and when i get a salmon flip it in there cut its gills and put water in it. (drains out of the drain plug on bottom) then i refill every 20 mins or so keeping fish cold and at end of day no slime or goo off fish just a nice clean product to deal with.

Wolf

I have the exact set-up as Wolf on my boat too, and do the same routine. Also have a cleaning trough that just hangs off the side of the boat and a saltwater wash down do it all on the boat. No waiting at the cleaning tables. Going to be building a nice big cleaning table that will be mounted on the boat.

Bleed them right after being caught. Gut em 15 minutes after being caught. Wash em thoroughly. Put em on ice ASAP. Stuff the gut cavity with ice as well at this point. Cools em down nicely.

This is basic advice for any fish caught.

Last edited:
Thats works well to Sculpin , but i dont have the luxury of ice here in sooke this is the next best option, Coming from a chef background always grossed out by guy who catch fish throw in a bag right away then throw in box all that slime and goo afterwards is gross, or better yet a baby bath tub with fish sitting in sun that looks like leather and end of day and then they wonder why the meat is all separating from the bone. the enzymes in blood in my opinion is to blame as thats the first thing to break down.
Worse ive ever seen was a guy who shot a moose wrapped it up in clear poly and put it on the ground (skinned) in the sun. I said dude your going to spoil that meat hang the damn thing up... NOPE this is the best way he read somewhere????? went back 2 days later said hey open that up .... he did and whew what a stench.complete waste of food
bleeding any type of meat is key.....

Bleed everything. If anyone has a trick to bleed crabs I'd love to know it. :)

Salt water is a coagulant so it actually slows down or stops the bleeding process. Better to lay fish on top of ice if possible or keep in net but out of the water until bled.

I don't like water touching the flesh because the flesh will either absorb fresh water through osmosis or lose water to saltwater through same process so I wouldn't cut the head off but gilling and pulling entrails is a good idea.

Fish tastes best and cooks better after going into and out of rigor mortis so I prefer day old fish over same day.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-05-13/food/fo-34495_1_fresh-fish

stun and dont beat the fish, the beating heart helps push out the blood and drops the blood pressure when bled. insert fingers or whole hand for a nice hali, rip gills and cut tail (hali) place somewhere that head is down hill. once bled out put into cool as you can. either by ice, water , shade, damp towel or burlap sac.. do not let yer fish sit in salt ice slurry too long. the brine will actually start to cure it.

I take the gills out and gut salmon straight away.
Is there anything wrong with that method as I noticed Sculpin bled them and then gutted 15 minutes later ?

Bleed everything. If anyone has a trick to bleed crabs I'd love to know it. :)

Salt water is a coagulant so it actually slows down or stops the bleeding process. Better to lay fish on top of ice if possible or keep in net but out of the water until bled.

I don't like water touching the flesh because the flesh will either absorb fresh water through osmosis or lose water to saltwater through same process so I wouldn't cut the head off but gilling and pulling entrails is a good idea.

Fish tastes best and cooks better after going into and out of rigor mortis so I prefer day old fish over same day.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-05-13/food/fo-34495_1_fresh-fish

I’ve said that for years.. fish that has been treated well and kept cold for 24 hours always tastes better than the ones that end up freezer packed in less than 3 hours.

July 15th is getting closer. A four-step Japanese method called ikejime. It involves sharp knives. And a brain spike.
Interesting video:
https://www.topic.com/how-to-kill-a-fish
This is a great video. I had took out a really nice Asian family last year and he was talking all about Ike Jime and how much different the fish can taste. He’s going to teach me the method in a few weeks. I’ve spiked brains and bled but I’ve never tried the wire in the spine so that will be new...

Back