Better and Safer Safety Chain

spring fever

I was going to put this with the power winch question in General but in a lot of ways this can be done to all boats. My boat is usually very heavy when coming up or going down a ramp-close to 8000 lbs-- all that is holding it is a 3600 lb black strap on my electric winch or on my old manual winch a yellow 6000 lb strap plus an unknown value safety chain and hook. When I first got the boat I had the supplied black strap break coming up the Nootka ramp- sliding the boat back-SAVED by the safety chain. Almost disastrous!! When I got the new power winch the instructions said that the black strap should have the tension off it on the highway and to my way of thinking coming up or going down the ramp. I thought of going to a yellow strap but that didn't seem feasible due to stiffness of the yellow strap. The logging industry supplied the following 12000 lb working strength turnbuckle, chain and clevis plus stainless safety hook. Northern Rope was the supplier. On the highway the strap is not under tension and the boat is held solid by the chain/turnbuckle and also a 6000 lb cargo strap around the nose plus 2 stern tie-downs. The turn buckle also has the advantage that the boat never slips back coming up the ramp forcing that annoying dry hauling of the boat back into place. DSC01464.JPG DSC01466.JPG

Last edited:
My little boat probably weighs 2000lbs fully laden, but because of age and infirmary, l too use an electric winch, which is meant to be slacked off when towing. With only the safety chain the bow would bounce around when towing. To stop this l used an over centre load binder to achieve the same result as you have. I discovered that l needed to disconnect it and put the brake on the winch when launching though, or l would need to haul the boat back up to the winch stand to release the binder.

If the strap is tight and the boat is bouncing hard on the road then it is possible to exceed the winches capacity causing clutch failure and it is also very possible to break the strap-causing damage to both. Same way as when you are anchored-you never leave the anchor just attached to the winch-it should be cleated off so the strain is not put on the winch----they can fail!!!!

Not needed by everyone but I tow about 5to 6000km a year and I know when things go wrong it's always on a lonely stretch of road.

My rig is a little different: The lower attach point for the turnbuckle is on the main tongue beam. Helps to hold the bow down in case of a hard panic stop with the tow rig. The small safety chain is attached to the bow eye at launch when I remove the turnbuckle assembly.

In addition to the stern straps, I run a 15,000 pound tie down strap (like the commercial truckers use) over the gunnels about 3 feet in front of the stern. The hooks on the ends of the strap neatly fit the flanges of the I beams of the trailer.

I have "bunk slicks" on the trailer bunks, they are really slick, makes winching the boat up to the front roller real easy. Boat is a 22 foot Mako Center Console.

upload_2016-6-23_18-51-47.png

Last edited:
I've used the shackle on my boat for about 3 years after seeing someone else set up with one. It can be a bit of a hassle when it gets tight and turning the shackle by hand is tough so I keep a set of channel locks in the truck just in case. I still leave the winch connected and cinched tight. I take the power winch apart every spring to clean and lube up the gears and washers and resurface the clutch...that prevents damage more than anything to those parts.

Should clarify a bit after reading your reply PF. My winch is still connected and locked just not straining. I keep a bit of rebar in the back of the truck should the turnbuckle be hard to release but it has provided great peace of mind and I haven't found any downside in the year since I carried out the mod.

I copied what a friend had done,pretty much what Mako 22 has,with eye bolt through main tow beam.Works great to take any bounce out of boat on trailer and peace of mind for long tows.I actually remove my power winch,it has a quick release base plate,when not in use .It sits in my back seat out of the weather until I need it.

may as well get a pic in also. along the lines of what others have shown. adds alot of piece of mind. turnbuckle doesn`t get loosened till boats starting to float just off the trailer.

Back