Best time to buy a new outboard motor

Breakin"even

Crew Member
I've never bought anything new before but I'm looking at that before spring. I'm wondering if I should wait for the boat show in February. I'm leaning towards a 115 Yamaha and they are offering 500.00 off until end of Nov.
If the boat show is the way to go will I need to go to the show for the best price or will a local dealer in the Nanaimo area at that time be able to offer me the best price. Any advice would be appreciated.

Most dealers will offer boat show pricing for a period of time before it actually happens. That being said you will get a better price on motors if they are non current models and they are looking to sell them. I got mine around this time last year and they were new but his stock from the previous year. He guaranteed it wouldn't be offered lower at the boat show a few months later and that I could keep them at the shop for a few months before they were installed. I had a lot of time to shop around and still haven't seen prices as good as I got. That being said it was also a twin motor set up and it may be harder to sell a counter rotating model on it's own so I may have got better pricing from that as well.

I talked to the dealer at the boat show in Feb about a 2019 Yamaha F250 (mechanical). He quoted me a price that was $4k higher than what I paid for the same motor in July of this year. Maybe it was closer to the end of season and I got a great deal. On top of that, the boat show dealer quoted additional pricing for install and cabling. And that wasn’t cheap. The dealer I bought from in July included all of the install parts and labour as part of the package. Overall price was probably $6-7k cheaper. My experience, the boat show wasn’t such a good place to get a deal.

I just bought a new motor from Inlet Marine. Chris gave me a deal no one would match. Having said that Bill Howich just contacted me saying the are looking to make a deal. Too bad for them and maybe me they weren't willing to deal about ten days ago. Anyone sitting on last years stock is going to be looking to move it out. I had three dealers bidding on my new motor. Tell you are shopping around an they need to make their best offer.

Back