Best option for new trailer tires?

GDW

I have a single axle highliner trailer for a 17 ft boat. i am looking for a good option re: new tires. I was planning to get new wheels too because they are often sold together and then I can keep an old tire for the spare.

Checked princess auto they were $170 each for tires rated to about 1300lbs. The cheaper ones were rated to 850 lbs not sure that is enough.

Would I save a lot using the old wheels? And where should I go $170 each seems steep for a pair of tires not installed.

Just replaced 2 13" tires on my near new Karavan trailer. It originally came with bias ply tires,and heard of a good deal on a pair of radials,so went that route,even though there was only a few hundred miles on em. You definately want the
1300lb. rated,load rating " C " I believe. The best deal I could find up here in Duncan was to buy the rims at Canadian Tire
for $40.00 each,and the tires at O.K. Tire for $80.00 each installed.I have seen them go on sale in the Princess Auto
flyer for a $100.00 once in a while,but not too often.

When you say installed do you mean tire on the rim and balanced or right on the trailer for you?

Ill look at that option thanks.

Princess auto is about the cheapest for brand new tires. The 170 must include the wheels and tires installed. If you are buying used then sure, there are cheaper options.

As for weight rating, I just checked the three trailers in my driveway.

14' hourston 855lb rated tires C trailer tires.

16' stratocraft 1360lb rating C trailer tires.

17' grew 1850lbs rating radials.

I've got a set of three of the 1360lb rated tires on rims that I'd sell cheap but I think you're on the island and I'm on the mainland so that probably won't work.

If your on the lower island check out westcoast tire on sooke road. Excellent service and you won't pay any more than the quote they give you

Bruce

I don't know what make your 17ft boat is, all I can say I had a 17 ft Tyee and the total weight was around 3300 lbs. (trailer, boat, kicker, gas, 2 batteries, 3 cannon balls, downriggers, etc). Plus you want to have at least a 10% safety margin. I would weigh the outfit so you know what you need. In fact after I found out the actual weight of my outfit, I upgraded from 13" to 14" wheels and the replacement tires were rated at 2040 lbs each.

Hmm. Let me see I spent about 60 a tire at Joe's in Duncan used winters. Got each galvanized trailer rim $45.00 each . (BTW get galvanized!)... Its a custom trailer place up island in between Parksville and Coombs...Trying to remember name...so basically tires/rims installed under 200.00. I think 170 each is insane myself... I have a pretty heavy double eagle , and my tires have been great/ and I do a lot of trailering up and down the malahat ..

If you are really worried on load make sure your springs are good. I see way more damage to axles/tires with guys with frozen leaf springs..... Good luck if I remember that trailer place I will post the name...They also have another outlet near Cobble Hill. They can ship there for you...

Not sure,,, but are you referring to Express Custom Trailers in Errington? We got our rims and tires for our tandem axle trailer from there and I don't remember what the price was now, but I do remember that at the time it was the best value.

Best place is Cedartire in Nanaimo. Galvy rims for $29 and tires are a great deal. Be sure you get a quote on tires that have a ply rating 6(C)ply or 8(D)ply.
Passenger tires (like winter tires) aren't designed to carry the loads.
They're really fast too.
1-866-722-4799
250-722-4799

The tires that came on our rims are good tires also. They are also ST (Special Tire) rated for trailers.

I did not know that they also had a location in Cobble Hill area, I learned something new today!:cool:

When you say installed do you mean tire on the rim and balanced or right on the trailer for you?

Ill look at that option thanks.
That's mounted on the rim and installed on the trailer. I was told that balancing is not nesessary on !3" wheels.

Thanks for the opinions. Went with west coast tire in and out in 20 minutes new 13inch galv wheels with new tires installed was $265 including tax and fee's. Saved about $150 compared to princess auto and didn't have to install them myself.

you won't regret using them. if you have any problems down the road they'll look after you

Back