Best Gaff For Releasing Salmon?

Seafever

What brand/type do you use?

I have a couple of gaffs.....one is the old-style "U" shape head and the other is a newer "offset ' tang-type head.
The "offset' head is built sturdier than the other one.

But...I really don't like either of them, in terms of ease-of-use or construction material.

The type I have are the ones you commonly see in tackle stores......but there's got to be something better out there...

Where'd you get yours and what kind is it?

Any that are thin enough to fit in the hook gap although the U gaff might actually be a bit better. The tricky part is pulling the leader down so can leverage the hook up. I'm going to post a vid of the best way to release fish with a gaff just so people can learn the method.

Yes, I was thinking that the U-head would be better......my other one looks like it's designed to smack/kill Halibut with.

My U-head is a better design......but it's built flimsy. Quality isn't there. I always think the handle is going to break off. Just has that crimped aluminum sleeve on it which is always working loose. Binged it with a punch numerous times to tighten it up but it still goes floppy again after use. And they didn't make the head out of stainless so it's always rusting. Damn mass-produced crap.......

Last edited by a moderator:
What Kelly said.

Any gaff with a wide enough "U" shape will work ( so you can finesse the point of the gaff into the gap of your hook then with your free hand, hold the leader so it's south of the hook and taught against the "U" of the gaff. This allows the fisher to lift the gaff north while the tight leader is south which eventually turns the hook upside down and the fish falls off.

Here's a pic of the two Catch and Release tools I use the most often:

IMG_3781.jpg

There's a bit of irony going on (picture of tools for Catch and Release with two dead fish). Well, both those two dead fish ended up in this nasty contraption:

027.jpg

Any fish that I want to eat goes in that fish-killing blue sack.

ANY FISH I WANT TO RELEASE DOESN'T GO ANY WHERE NEAR THAT EVIL SACK OF DEATH.

Both those fish were caught this morning. I post them with the C&R tools I use to with a bit of tongue- in- cheek irony...

I guess I pissed off some guys on the SOOKE THREAD by brow-beating a guy who has been doing some chest beating about all the fish he's catching. It's great that he does a shout-out to everyone about his exploits complete with piles of fish pix.

But after a while, I figured someone had to be the bad guy and gently remind him he ain't doing those C&R fish any favors by inviting them to his Hero Shot Party that takes place on the dance floor of his freaking boat!

Of course a bunch of people piled on and told him to keep it up and not to pay any heed to the "armchair fishermen" who never gets any and consequently, is jealous of people that do and thus, feels compelled to be a grumpy finger-waving nanny (the Nanny being me, of course)

So, I post the above pix showing that even armchair fishermen get a few from the comfort of their armchairs, BUT THEY DON'T USE FREAKING NETS for the one's they turn loose.

The point---If you're going to invite a spring to your Hero Shot party, make sure he's been freshened up with a wood shampoo before inviting him on to your dance floor

Here's the thing, Gents-- most of you guys are at the pinnacle of your sport. You've been through the numbers thing, you've been around resource extraction activities long enough to know that it isn't always about take take take.

So when you're out in the fleet doing your thing, it is great to help out the new guys with the where and the what and the when. But in the meantime, it's your responsibility to also steer them in the right direction about proper respect and attitude for the resource.

We're all been spoiled. We've had it pretty easy with access to the resource. But in the next decade there no doubt will be some tuning done by regulatory agencies to pull some of those sport opportunities we've been enjoying away from us.

Alaska is just to the North of you---they just shut down the entire June fishery on the Kenai River for lack of returns.!! The Yukon River is sucking wind on their spring return----there's some weird shiat going down with spring population dynamics both on the high seas and every where else.

Don't for a minute forget that all these hatch springs WCVI is pounding are exactly that----hatch springs that are only there because the funding was

So it ain't all a bottomless cornocopia of fish out there ----let's stay ahead of the curve with fish handling practices, help out our brothers by educating them (even if one of us has to be the Bad Guy Nanny and **** some of them off) , and hopefully we'll get a chance to keep practicing our sport for many more years to come.

Tight lines and bloody decks to all of you

good post,, good c&r brings good fishy karma

There isn't a net on my boat at all. I haven't found use for one for several years other than to take up room on the boat I'm not willing to give up. There are however, two gaffs: A 24"
Wesking gaff (pictured) for small to medium fish, and for releasing fish with the technique mentioned above; and a 4' Aftco "hook" gaff for larger fish.

Attachments

• 60113.jpg
    60113.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 224
i like the scotty gaff it's the same length as a keeper spring on the inside here, so you can use it to measure the fish and then use it to pop it off, they're nice heavy stainless, bit more durable than those aluminum jobbys, more of a v shape for the underhanded technique they don't work so good for the over hand swing

i like the scotty gaff

YEAH but they dont float very well.. LOL maybe buy a wesking one thats the same length as a keep spring???? LOL

My Bestfriend and hunting partner owns wesking and i made close to 100,000 of them as a kid working there.thats where I started at the age of 12 to almost 20 there will never be any other gaff on my boat ....just saying LOL LOL

Damn good post Sharp Hooks!

4 wraps of the leader on your upstream hand, slide spiking gaff down leader and into the u of the hook, lift gaff, lower leader, fish slide off......

4 wraps of the leader on your upstream hand, slide spiking gaff down leader and into the u of the hook, lift gaff, lower leader, fish slide off......

Everything except wrapping hand with the leader. I don't wrap any line around a body part as a general rule. I manage just fine without the wraps:).

Everything except wrapping hand with the leader. I don't wrap any line around a body part as a general rule. I manage just fine without the wraps:).

i got ***** hands and after a month of fishn everyday the line cuts get deeper,,,, and deeper,, the four wraps help. i can see yer point as far as safety wise...if thats yer point...

i got ***** hands and after a month of fishn everyday the line cuts get deeper,,,, and deeper,, the four wraps help. i can see yer point as far as safety wise...if thats yer point...

Yup, just pointing out the safety factor is all:). Have you tried gloves of some kind to help with the line cuts?

+1000 on the post from Sharphooks. If you're going to release don't put them in the net. I've found that if I'm gentle on the reel near the end of the fight, I can often coax my salmon into laying nicely on their side for the hatch/wild id. If it's a wild coho (or chinook depending on season/location) it goes back and never touches the net. I've seen a lot of salmon (mine and pictures from others), and I have a decent memory. I don't really need a picture of the to be released fish.

GPSPowell also makes a good point - a net is not a requirement for landing fish, even down here in the US where it's illegal to gaff a legal salmon. Last year on my way out to Swiftsure, I had the net in the rod holder on my Scotty downrigger. The water was a bit rough and I was in a bit of a hurry. Bottom line, the down rigger tipped up at some point during the run out and dumped the net. With no backup net on board and an 18 mile run to get back to port, we just fished and landed them either by tailing them at the boat or by quickly lifting them into the cockpit by the leader. We limited in nice size (10-15lb chinook) and didn't lose any more than we lose with the net.

I've never understood the NO GAFF rule in Washington state. They allow you to bonk a fish in the water before landing it but NO GAFF?? I'm sure it makes sense to somebody.

What Kelly said.

Any gaff with a wide enough "U" shape will work ( so you can finesse the point of the gaff into the gap of your hook then with your free hand, hold the leader so it's south of the hook and taught against the "U" of the gaff. This allows the fisher to lift the gaff north while the tight leader is south which eventually turns the hook upside down and the fish falls off.

IMG_3781.jpg

There's a bit of irony going on (picture of tools for Catch and Release with two dead fish). Well, both those two dead fish ended up in this nasty contraption:

027.jpg

Both those fish were caught this morning. I post them with the C&R tools I use to with a bit of tongue- in- cheek irony...

I guess I pissed off some guys on the SOOKE THREAD by brow-beating a guy who has been doing some chest beating about all the fish he's catching. It's great that he does a shout-out to everyone about his exploits complete with piles of fish pix.

But after a while, I figured someone had to be the bad guy and gently remind him he ain't doing those C&R fish any favors by inviting them to his Hero Shot Party that takes place on the dance floor of his freaking boat!

Of course a bunch of people piled on and told him to keep it up and not to pay any heed to the "armchair fishermen" who never gets any and consequently, is jealous of people that do and thus, feels compelled to be a grumpy finger-waving nanny (the Nanny being me, of course)

So, I post the above pix showing that even armchair fishermen get a few from the comfort of their armchairs, BUT THEY DON'T USE FREAKING NETS for the one's they turn loose.

The point---If you're going to invite a spring to your Hero Shot party, make sure he's been freshened up with a wood shampoo before inviting him on to your dance floor

Here's the thing, Gents-- most of you guys are at the pinnacle of your sport. You've been through the numbers thing, you've been around resource extraction activities long enough to know that it isn't always about take take take.

So when you're out in the fleet doing your thing, it is great to help out the new guys with the where and the what and the when. But in the meantime, it's your responsibility to also steer them in the right direction about proper respect and attitude for the resource.

We're all been spoiled. We've had it pretty easy with access to the resource. But in the next decade there no doubt will be some tuning done by regulatory agencies to pull some of those sport opportunities we've been enjoying away from us.

Alaska is just to the North of you---they just shut down the entire June fishery on the Kenai River for lack of returns.!! The Yukon River is sucking wind on their spring return----there's some weird shiat going down with spring population dynamics both on the high seas and every where else.

Don't for a minute forget that all these hatch springs WCVI is pounding are exactly that----hatch springs that are only there because the funding was

So it ain't all a bottomless cornocopia of fish out there ----let's stay ahead of the curve with fish handling practices, help out our brothers by educating them (even if one of us has to be the Bad Guy Nanny and **** some of them off) , and hopefully we'll get a chance to keep practicing our sport for many more years to come.

Very well said.

What Kelly said.

IMG_3781.jpg

027.jpg

Just gunna go ahead a bring that comment back to life. Wow!

Just gunna go ahead a bring that comment back to life. Wow!

I’ve been on this site longer than i care to admit. quit and joined back a couple of times. seen a lot of beauties like sharphooks leave never to return. funny how we never listen to ppl giving us warnings. but with the given the gift of hindsight...hopefully he’s wrong but sadly i doubt he is

Back