Best Battery for Boat

Hey All,
I'm totally new in boating and just got my first boat. It's 18.5' Campion with 90 hp outboard Mercury. I need to get the new battery and just wonder if you guys can give me some ideas about the best brand and model for me.
Thanks

deep cycle marine,, there are only a few actual battery companies,, most just carry a different label...

Try these. http://www.trojanbattery.com/tools/dealers.aspx

Trojan are considered to be one of the best, but would not fit into my battery bays. I went with another brand that are working great after 3 seasons. Just can't recall the brand name but the sales guy said they were just as good. I got them at:

Discount Battery Warehouse

11B Cliff St, Nanaimo, BC V9R 5E6
Get directions
250-753-7050

My bros a mechanic and tell's me to just to buy Kirkland. Which is Costco deep cycles .I have used them as long as I can remember. There cheap and last a long time. There's probably better brand but for much more bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using the Kirkland Deep Cycle batteries for years and have had no problems, but I maintain them in the off season.

Kirkland deep cycles work for me as well. I get 4 years min. On a set, the last set lasted 5 years, but don't take chances. I believe they are built by Johnson Controls, just private branded for Costco.
Stosh

Crazy as it sounds, I got 10 years out of a Canadian Tire Nautilus battery. Whichever brand you get, you need to do a little bit of basic upkeep to maintain them.

Dave

Hey All,
I'm totally new in boating and just got my first boat. It's 18.5' Campion with 90 hp outboard Mercury. I need to get the new battery and just wonder if you guys can give me some ideas about the best brand and model for me.
Thanks

For that boat I would get the Kirkland group 27 combo deep cycle and starting battery from Costco. That's what I use in my runabouts and they've been very good. Just over a hundred bucks I think.

I agree Kirkland are good performance for the $ and they have a much better warranty program then Crappy Tire (i.e. less fussy on the wear and tear issues). I also like Interstate. I would recommend 2 batteries if you have the space. A starting battery with lots of cold cranking amps and a deep cycle for running your gear when trolling and a dual battery switch. Just remember to never run your boat in the 'both' setting as this can quickly wear out your batteries. With 2 batteries you always have a backup.

Crazy as it sounds, I got 10 years out of a Canadian Tire Nautilus battery. Whichever brand you get, you need to do a little bit of basic upkeep to maintain them.

Dave

I've been getting 5-6 years out of these as well, for around $100
what kind of maintenance do you do ?

Thanks all for your response. Really appreciate that.
As I got from your replies, most of you recommended the Kirkland deep cycle from Costco. Just wonder if I do need to get the deep cycle or starting battery? which one is better for me since I don't have kicker yet and I will have just this battery on boat so it should be reliable one.

Amirbabak1979: As per trendsetter's response Costco has a marine battery that is Starting/Deep cycle in the Group 27 size (~$100). I have one of these as my "battery 1" in my two battery system. I alternate batteries each day I use the boat. These batteries last at least 4 years in my boat and are able to easily start my 200 h.p. Optimax outboard which requires a good battery to start it.

...Rob

Hey R.S. All I do is pull them out of their cases every three or four months. I check the water levels each time and top as necessary. I switch back and forth between batteries each trip and turn them off when not in use. Keep terminals clean and scrubbed and coated with Vaseline. I also pull the boat out each month and run both motors for a half hour each. That's if I'm not fishing of course. Like I said just basic maintenance. Also, never leave selector switch on "BOTH" for any longer than you need to start the motor.

Dave

I agree Kirkland are good performance for the $ and they have a much better warranty program then Crappy Tire (i.e. less fussy on the wear and tear issues). I also like Interstate. I would recommend 2 batteries if you have the space. A starting battery with lots of cold cranking amps and a deep cycle for running your gear when trolling and a dual battery switch. Just remember to never run your boat in the 'both' setting as this can quickly wear out your batteries. With 2 batteries you always have a backup.
X2. Great advice here. I have 2 Interstates in my boat now.They're Group 24's,$140.00 each,and this will be my 4th
year with no problems.The only thing I do to them is keep the cells topped up with distilled water,and keep a small 1watt solar panel hooked up to them when not in use. Seems to work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everybody for your response and recommendations! Tried to get the Kirkland deep cycle from Costco but there wasn't any marine battery in shelve. Guess they don't carry them on island! anyway as you guys said it manufactures in Johnson, I found the deep cycle Johnson which carry in walmart as EverStart. I got the 27 group deep cycle/start for 100$. hope I did the right thing. let me know if you think I should get something else!
Thanks again for your help!

Thanks everybody for your response and recommendations! Tried to get the Kirkland deep cycle from Costco but there wasn't any marine battery in shelve. Guess they don't carry them on island! anyway as you guys said it manufactures in Johnson, I found the deep cycle Johnson which carry in walmart as EverStart. I got the 27 group deep cycle/start for 100$. hope I did the right thing. let me know if you think I should get something else!
Thanks again for your help!
It is the same as Costco's.... Costco just has the better return policy. And Costco does sell them at all thier stores. They must have been out when you looked.

my $0.02, I'll agree with Searun and say that I have had a number of different batteries over the years but have been the most satisfied with the Trojan deep cycle I put in last year. Definitely helps with my electronic load when running on the kicker.
I run an interestate starting battery - good value.
Happy holidays. Gene

Back