best 2.5-3.5 outboard

jbv

hey guys. not exactly the most exciting motors i know, but i'm looking for a more powerful alternative for my square backed canoe. the minnkota is pretty good, but when i want to go out on bigger lakes against winds and the like, it ain't much.

i like the idea of 3.5hp which is the max (maker says 3) for sure i could go, but only a few make them. i also should take into consideration the dealer and who is going to support, warranty, etc their product.

anyways, if you have any thoughts on the matter as far as quality, reliability, etc, chime in. :D

Just about all the outboards produced nowadays in that size are single cylinder.

If you are getting from point A to point B this won't be a problem much.......but if you are using it for trolling you will notice the vibration bigtime.

I have a Merc 4 horse I use for a backup "get me in" engine.......I was going to use it for a kicker but I can't stand the noise or vibration.

The Merc is one of the lighter engines out there....and it comes with a built in gas tank, although you can hook to gastank as well.

In the old days they made 2 cylinder two-strokes in that size or close.......I had a Johnson that was like that.

They are much smoother running.......

When you're talking canoe you're talking 2-stroke due to weight. It's tough to beat a 4 Hp Yamaha ---they're light, quiet, and have WAY more torque then a 4-stroke. They have a built in gas tank and have the option for a connector hose. Tohatsu and Nissan make a good 3.5 but they have a bit more rattle and smoke then the Yamahas

single piston will always have balance/vibe issues... i run a 2.5 yammi 4 stroke on my grocery getter, tank on top, great lil motor, my six yr old girl can start it and operate it. no trubbs with it at all in 5 yrs.. great lil motor.

I was under the impression that Tohatsu builds north of 90% of all sub 9.9 hp outboards.
That may have changed in the last decade that I left outboard sales.

Gong Show

Tohatsu builds all 4-stroke Nissan, Evinrude and Merc outboards 15hp and under. Usually the Tohatsu engines are priced cheaper than the name brands. So unless you like paying extra cash for the sticker that says Mercury then just buy a Tohatsu.

Tohatsu may build a lot of other engines ...but they are built to the specs of the client....like Merc, Nissan,Evinrude etc.. etc.

Tohatsu builds it's own line of engines........which are not the same specs .

Tohatsu's own line of engines...when I read the reviews they don't get much praise.....

Tohatsu may build a lot of other engines ...but they are built to the specs of the client....like Merc, Nissan,Evinrude etc.. etc.

Tohatsu builds it's own line of engines........which are not the same specs .

Tohatsu's own line of engines...when I read the reviews they don't get much praise.....

They are all exactly the same engine built to the same specs. Occasionally Merc has a custom cowling or shift mechanism on the throttle for their models. Besides that the specs are all identical. Compare for yourself on the company websites.

So any recent fourstroke under 50 horse, the engine parts should all be interchangeable? Yamaha too?

I thought with Mercs it was 30 horse and under......

You are one educated guy, Trendsetter.........:)......

So any recent fourstroke under 50 horse, the engine parts should all be interchangeable? Yamaha too?

I thought with Mercs it was 30 horse and under......

You are one educated guy, Trendsetter.........:)......

It's the 15hp and under that are all made by Tohatsu these days. Mercury, Nissan, Evinrude and Tohatsu. All the same engines.

Yamaha makes their own kickers as does Honda.

Says online that all Mercs 30 horse and under are made by Tohatsu..

Last edited by a moderator:
i am looking to buy a 2.5 -5 hp for my new jon boat ideally around 4 hp would be perfect for this little tinny , been doing some research on the single cylinder four strokes of this size and seems to me honda has the best warranty for motors of this size. Any thoughts Trendsetter, would like the 4hp yammy to match the yammy tinny but am i better off with the honda 5hp?

wasn't trying to derail the 2.5-3.5 thread, i think the zuki in 2.5 would be a good motor , for the size of my 10 foot john boat might be the way to go 2.5 horse..

i have a great 2013 mercury 3.5hp four stroke long leg kicker witch gets the job done good. there great outboards, extremly good on gas, i also use my 3.5hp for nanaimo lakes on my 10ft welded aluminum boat for trolling. i can troll all day on a full tank of gas and still have half a tank left

Says online that all Mercs 30 horse and under are made by Tohatsu..

Yeah I don't doubt it. I'm 100% certain that all the 15hp and under at made by Tohatsu. It would make sense that some larger outboards are also made by them for other companies.

Evinrude I know makes their own 15hp-30hp outboards because they are all E-TECHs.

I have an older Evinrude 3hp that I picked up at an auction in salmon Arm years ago and it was old er then...$130 with the tank.
It starts first pull and has been bullet proof...great little motor, no reverse, you just spin it around to go backwards :)

Back