Bella Coola information

S

Sea Wolf

I am planning a trip up to Bella Coola next summer. Will drag my boat, a 23' C-Dory up there. I would appreciate any general information about the salmon/halibut/ling fishing in that area.
Is it worth the trip?
Any contacts in the area would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sea Wolf

You mean you're going to trailer all that way to fish @ the head of the inlet?

You're probably better off driving to Port Hardy and taking the Discovery Coast Ferry to Bella Bella/Shearwater area and fishing there.

Oddly enough the Guy you want to talk to about that posts here as.....(wait for it)....Seawolf.

http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/discovery/

map-dcp.gif

Not until he finds another nick [}:)]. There are no fish there, go to Hardy, fish Duval.

SeaWolf - the original

Yup, you should be hearing from Seawolf (the original) pretty soon. He and I made the trip from Port Hardy two years ago........

SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Hey Sea Wolf Junior

I have made the trip to Bella Coola 2 years ago with a 22 foot trophy. I went on May long weekend and ran out from Bella Coola and stayed 3 days in Ocean Falls. Im going to be doing it again this year it is AWESOME, I would go there anyday before going to the Island. First thing No Ferry so you just put $450 bucks in your pocket, I don't know where you live but for me its a 12 hour drive to Bella Coola and yes its a few more KM's but it takes less time then going to Hardy because of Ferry and ferry wait times. I would recomened staying at Shearwater its about 80miles from Bella Coola in the boat in pretty protected waters. That being said in May there were big out flows and it was pretty rough on the way there but when your there its really calm. Shearwater has everything a fisherman could need Gas, Bait, Ice, Beer and food. Your boat is perfect for that trip I would spend a night in Namu and run down to Hakia Pass and check out the fishing and Beaches. Make sure your brakes are good its a big hill on the way into Bella Coola. Everyone says it really bad but its no big deal if you take care of your Truck and Trailer. Well thats my 2 cents anyways.

Thanks
JAC

hewesonthefraser.jpg

How about C-Wolf, incorporates the C-Dory and the SeaWolf, which seems to be the most popular nickname on here. FYI Striper Sniper was originally Seawolf, before he saw the light. Been a great fishing partner ever since.

SeaWolf - the original

maybe they are all wolves in sneeps clothing;)here's a new topic i think i'll put forward soon stolen boat & nick names.

it"s already happened they stole the sheep & now they're sneep[:0]

Thanks for the information guys.
Sorry that SeaWolf (the original???) is bent about my boats name - had 5 boats over the last 25 years - all with the same name and totem. It's hardly an original name, and if you look in the boat registry there are a load of them.
Anyway - I appreciate the information and will certainly put Bella Coola and Shearwater on the agenda.

Sea Wolf

Where did I say anything about your boats name or anything personal towards you?

SeaWolf - the original

I have been travelling to Bella Coola and then on to Ocean Falls/Bella Bella/Seaforth Channel/Milbank Sound/Hakai Pass/Namu Harbour/Burke Channel/Restoration Bay etc. for the last 10 years. I try for 4 trips a year (in week ea. June, July, Aug. Sept)
We just got back Sept. 8 from another successful trip. I live in Cache Creek so it is just too easy to travel to Bella Coola rather than travel to Van. then take the ferry and then bash all the way up to Port Hardy and then you are still 6-7 boat ride up to Shearwater.
I have taken to leaving my 24 ft. Searay in Bella Coola rather than drag it back and forth but than is just a convenience and cost thing. The big cost was brake shoes and bearing sets for the boat trailer because I just have surge brakes on the trailer. If you have a proper trailer brake control that works independently from the truck life would be easy. If you take it slow and easy and your equipment is in reasonable shape there is no problem. The drive is relaxing as traffic is very light. There is only 60 odd km. of gravel left (west of Anaheim to the bottom of the hill) the whole "hill" portion of the drive took 20 min. to climb last month....going down would probably take twice as long. Total drive time from Cache Creek to Bella Coola is 7 hrs. No ferry fees.
The fishing in the area has always been very productive and the pressure is very light. It just seems to be a much more pleasant area to fish. Long distance runs should be done in the a.m. if possible and there are stories of rough water and tough goin' but that stands for just about everywhere on the west coast. Once you are at Shearwater you can fish all over the place always in protected water.
We most often sleep on the boat as there are many excellent hide-outs close to the action so we go back to town (Shearwater or Bella Bella) every 2 or 3 days. If staying on the boat is not for you Shearwater has rooms and there are B&B's, rooms only, and cabins for rent on Denny Island.
PM me if you would like for specific recommends on lodging or fishing locations. :)

I have been travelling to Bella Coola and then on to Ocean Falls/Bella Bella/Seaforth Channel/Milbank Sound/Hakai Pass/Namu Harbour/Burke Channel/Restoration Bay etc. for the last 10 years. I try for 4 trips a year (in week ea. June, July, Aug. Sept)
We just got back Sept. 8 from another successful trip. I live in Cache Creek so it is just too easy to travel to Bella Coola rather than travel to Van. then take the ferry and then bash all the way up to Port Hardy and then you are still 6-7 boat ride up to Shearwater.
I have taken to leaving my 24 ft. Searay in Bella Coola rather than drag it back and forth but than is just a convenience and cost thing. The big cost was brake shoes and bearing sets for the boat trailer because I just have surge brakes on the trailer. If you have a proper trailer brake control that works independently from the truck life would be easy. If you take it slow and easy and your equipment is in reasonable shape there is no problem. The drive is relaxing as traffic is very light. There is only 60 odd km. of gravel left (west of Anaheim to the bottom of the hill) the whole "hill" portion of the drive took 20 min. to climb last month....going down would probably take twice as long. Total drive time from Cache Creek to Bella Coola is 7 hrs. No ferry fees.
The fishing in the area has always been very productive and the pressure is very light. It just seems to be a much more pleasant area to fish. Long distance runs should be done in the a.m. if possible and there are stories of rough water and tough goin' but that stands for just about everywhere on the west coast. Once you are at Shearwater you can fish all over the place always in protected water.
We most often sleep on the boat as there are many excellent hide-outs close to the action so we go back to town (Shearwater or Bella Bella) every 2 or 3 days. If staying on the boat is not for you Shearwater has rooms and there are B&B's, rooms only, and cabins for rent on Denny Island.
PM me if you would like for specific recommends on lodging or fishing locations. :)
Hi excalibur, I realize this post is over 10 years old and you may not see this message lol.
We are planning our first trip to Bella Coola mid summer, 2023. Is there really no good fishing closer to Bella Coola like Burke Channel or Dean Channel? Is crabbing or or awning any good in this areas? Any information would be helpful, thanks in advance.

Hi RobFishHunt, I am interested on this trip also. I get my boat in a few weeks so hopefully I will get time to try Bella cools out this summer. Let me know how your trip goes .

cheers,
Lionel

Back