Beach crabbing

Brett83

These folding crab traps that you throw out into the water off the beach are being used as tools for poachers. Its so easy for them to hide out all along Cates park. typically I walk my dog at night but with this heat wave I've been going down to Cate's park and throwing him a stick in the water. These people don't think I'm watching. And it's usually just before they leave so around dusk. Multiple groups taking garbage bags full of crabs that are too small. I talked to one older guy and he said he barely ever gets a legal one. Yet the group 100 feet down the beach seems to keep everything. Where's the conservation officers.

Belcarra is the exact same way. Just buckets full of undersized crabs. I have no idea why dfo never goes there

Buddy I'm out numbered. Five guys in there twenties. I also can't bring myself to call authority. So I'm bringing awareness.

What @Aces posted is exactly what needs to be done. We have been down this road so many times on this forum and while it is extremely important that we all stay vigilant in the fight against poaching and other illegal activities, it must be done through the proper authorities. Having a thread here to make other's aware to watch for similar activity so they may also report it is fine, but simply having a place to have yet another ***** fest about problem poachers is not going to happen. The more people report, the more likely it will get attention from those who can actually do something about it. It may not be a perfect system but we have had members make a positive difference by reporting these activities through proper channels.

Just bust out the camo and a slingshot and have at 'er. Send pics. :)

What @Aces posted is exactly what needs to be done. We have been down this road so many times on this forum and while it is extremely important that we all stay vigilant in the fight against poaching and other illegal activities, it must be done through the proper authorities. Having a thread here to make other's aware to watch for similar activity so they may also report it is fine, but simply having a place to have yet another ***** fest about problem poachers is not going to happen. The more people report, the more likely it will get attention from those who can actually do something about it. It may not be a perfect system but we have had members make a positive difference by reporting these activities through proper channels.
I’ve had a good relationship with “the boots on the ground” officers in the field and they consistently told me they need reporting by us! The more reports the better and it helps them track the offenders which makes it easier for them to intercept them in the act.

They can’t be everywhere with their limited resources

Obviously you don’t want to put yourself in danger but if you can note the boats registration number or their vehicles plate number, leave the immediate scene for your safety and then make the call

Just passing this on. Our enforcement manager in Nanaimo has said the more your call/report it identifies hot spots, and then they manage their team based on occurrence. They do a good job but are very short staffed ( you can thank your government). What Ace posted above is correct.

Maybe this info (reporting) should be posted as a sticky?? ...

Buddy I'm out numbered. Five guys in there twenties. I also can't bring myself to call authority. So I'm bringing awareness.
We have a similar Prblm with tourists and some ignorant (willfully or not) breaking pretty much every rule there is... don’t be afraid to call RAP/DFO hotline... I’m pretty happy to say 3 guys I called the DFO on all received tickets over $800 Last summer... if you can confirm a vehicle used in poaching with a photo the DFO will also use that. Vigilance and enforcement of the regulations is the only way to protect the eco system...

Back