BC. Premier to Ottawa.

OldBlackDog

IMG_3242.jpeg

Page two of the letter: "- 2 -
Conservation of fish stocks and habitat and the balancing of fishing capacity with available resources are of course the highest priorities in managing commercial fisheries. It is clear, however, that this does not justify a licensing regime in the Pacific Region that encourages vertical integration and outside investor control of fishing rights, while DFO regulations on the East Coast ensure access to the most valuable fisheries are allocated to First Nations and community-based fish harvesters. The Province would support Canada in exploring the development of an integrated national licensing regime in which conservation, recognition of Treaty and Aboriginal rights, reconciliation with First Nations, enhanced vessel enterprise viability and optimal social and economic benefits for coastal communities are the overarching goals. This will align with BC's draft Coastal Marine Strategy to support the economic, social and environmental resilience of coastal communities.
I therefore urge the Government of Canada to work with the Province of British Columbia to develop a made-in-BC owner operator licensing policy.
cc: The Honourable Diane Lebouthillier, P.C., M.P.
Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard
The Honourable Nathan Cullen
Minister of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship

The buy back/ fleet reduction reconciliation measures have been buying up licenses and quota and reallocating the resource to FN. The few remaining licenses are thus more valuable on the open market.

"I therefore urge the Government of Canada to work with the Province of British Columbia to develop a made-in-BC owner operator licensing policy."

Sounds like enviro lawyerspeak to me.

Back