back to the island!

thehook

hey everyone, first post here.. moving back to the island end of this week after a long stint in fort mcmurray really looking forward to getting out fishing on the island again, just wondering what rivers would be safe to drift in my canoe?? its a 16ft widebody coleman so its pretty stable and i do have river experience with it but other then the cowichan i dont know many other rivers or if it would even be a good idea to take it down the cowichan.

thanks for any input in advance!

I think you'd be crazy to drift a river in your canoe in the winter, that's damn cold water and it isn't hard to flip a canoe. Drift boat is dangerous enough on the cowichan, I'll be surprised if anybody thinks that's a good idea.

lots of people guide on the island with driftboats, maybe take a guided trip on the stamp or cowichan river and hear what the guides have to say about it. a pontoon boat or drift boat might be a better bet. some tough water for a canoe no doubt. Welcome back to gods country :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to paradise. Never get off the rock. I would take the advice offered above...rivers and canoes don't mix well on the Island. River gradients are too steep in most cases.

i actually have a guided trip booked on the cowichan so il be able to check it out then, my canoe is pretty wide and flat bottomed so its not as tippy as a regular canoe thats why i was considering it, either way if its not a good idea probably not gonna do it especially in the winter.. just excited to get back home and get out fishing!

Hook,
Welcome back to he Island.
I have been running a drift boat on the Island for years.The Cowichan is not a river to run in a canoe in the winter months.I have twice over the years had to rescue canoeist from the bank who flippied there canoe's.Luckily no one was injured.
Some river's that a canoe would be fine on,are The Nitnat,or the San Juan.Again depending on the flow rate.You can check out this site www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca. It show's river heights for alot of rivers on the island and all over the province.

Hook,
Welcome back to he Island.
I have been running a drift boat on the Island for years.The Cowichan is not a river to run in a canoe in the winter months.I have twice over the years had to rescue canoeist from the bank who flippied there canoe's.Luckily no one was injured.
Some river's that a canoe would be fine on,are The Nitnat,or the San Juan.Again depending on the flow rate.You can check out this site www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca. It show's river heights for alot of rivers on the island and all over the province.

Was out on the Cowie a couple of weeks ago and the Victoria paddling club was on the river. They did have a number of canoes and made the drift from Stoltz to Vimy. I use my drift boat and would never go in a canoe but I can now say I have seen it done.

Back