Auto Pilot.

walleyes

Crew Member
Just tossing the idea around about an auto pilot for the boat.. I run a 20ft w/ outboard.. Just looking for some thoughts on them and maybe some recomadations.. Thx...

They're nice when by yourself, fighting a fish and not having to steer. More so in a light aluminum boat where it will steer just by shifting weight in the boat. They come with remotes so you can steer at the touch of a button. You can program them to troll in circles, letter eight, waypoints....yada yada
Most common on hydraulic steering and IMO kinda noisy having to hear the electric pump the whole day.
Hope this helps

a friends dad had a remote steering system that was pretty sweet. Not auto pilot, but just a remote in his pocket for steering when trolling.

questions..what type of steering? hyd , cable,how may stations? Do you want it to steer only trolling or under planing (wfo)[}:)] conditions? Does your boat steer easy now?[V]
how much to spend?:D

Thx for the help guys looks like enough to get started anyways..

Halli,, I run hyd steering and it steers quite easy, and I would want it for trolling only...

There is lots of small boat (electric over hydraulic) auto pilots out there. Wagner, Com Nav, Robertson, Furuno are the ones I have owned and can recommend. Do you have any other applicable electronics eg.. GPS,plotter, radar,etc....Same Company(Like)brands talk to each other,(work together)and with each model easier. Do your homework before purchasing just any good deal. Some just will not do the same job. I think every boat should have one, cause most can steer better than the owner[:I] I have one, Wagner Mk4 and it's steered around the whole of Van Island more than I have.
ps...just cause you have one doesn't mean you can stop watching!;)

There is lots of small boat (electric over hydraulic) auto pilots out there. Wagner, Com Nav, Robertson, Furuno are the ones I have owned and can recommend. Do you have any other applicable electronics eg.. GPS,plotter, radar,etc....Same Company(Like)brands talk to each other,(work together)and with each model easier. Do your homework before purchasing just any good deal. Some just will not do the same job. I think every boat should have one, cause most can steer better than the owner[:I] I have one, Wagner Mk4 and it's steered around the whole of Van Island more than I have.
ps...just cause you have one doesn't mean you can stop watching!;)

Hey walleyes save your money and buy new gear toys etc for the time you spend out here save it and buy yourself a nice reel and rod or more bevies at the dock for our morning/afternoon safety meetings LOL LOL:D:D

Wolf

Hey walleyes save your money and buy new gear toys etc for the time you spend out here save it and buy yourself a nice reel and rod or more bevies at the dock for our morning/afternoon safety meetings LOL LOL:D:D

Wolf

i run a tr-1 and have had problems with the remotes getting wet. tr-1 was bought out by garmin. before the buyout the customer service was excellent but now it is the absolute worst I have ever dealt with. the unit still is a great feature for fishing. I had to send mine in for repair and now I will be spending a whole day reinstalling it on my boat so we can fish the port townsend derby on the 15th of feb. good luck

i run a tr-1 and have had problems with the remotes getting wet. tr-1 was bought out by garmin. before the buyout the customer service was excellent but now it is the absolute worst I have ever dealt with. the unit still is a great feature for fishing. I had to send mine in for repair and now I will be spending a whole day reinstalling it on my boat so we can fish the port townsend derby on the 15th of feb. good luck

quote:Hey walleyes save your money and buy new gear toys etc for the time you spend out here save it and buy yourself a nice reel and rod or more bevies at the dock for our morning/afternoon safety meetings LOL LOL

Wolf

Just tossen the idea around,, it would come in handy sometimes even out here when I'm out for Lakers..

And I will allways have time and bevies for more safety meetings :) :) Hopefully we will get a chance again this summer.. I am booked in at Sunny Shores allready,, Aug 11 - 21,, now I count off the days... :( :( :(

quote:Hey walleyes save your money and buy new gear toys etc for the time you spend out here save it and buy yourself a nice reel and rod or more bevies at the dock for our morning/afternoon safety meetings LOL LOL

Wolf

Just tossen the idea around,, it would come in handy sometimes even out here when I'm out for Lakers..

And I will allways have time and bevies for more safety meetings :) :) Hopefully we will get a chance again this summer.. I am booked in at Sunny Shores allready,, Aug 11 - 21,, now I count off the days... :( :( :(

Back