Area Map Outlines

Peppysan

I have seen and have all the outlines for the Hunting WMU's, (in Alberta) and was wondering if anyone has seen or has the same sort of data for the Fishing Areas around the island? In "Basecamp" these WMU zones were identified by creating tracks for the boundary. They are I think, ".KMZ" files. they also have a set that can be imported into Google Earth.
I would think this could be done and imported into one's Plotter so you know when you are in, or cross zones.
Has anyone done this or have some other solutions?

I have seen and have all the outlines for the Hunting WMU's, (in Alberta) and was wondering if anyone has seen or has the same sort of data for the Fishing Areas around the island? In "Basecamp" these WMU zones were identified by creating tracks for the boundary. They are I think, ".KMZ" files. they also have a set that can be imported into Google Earth.
I would think this could be done and imported into one's Plotter so you know when you are in, or cross zones.
What you are looking for does exist on the DFO site. All the areas are described with lat/long along with coast boundaries. I used that info to create files that I imported into https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/. After playing with the data a bit I got nice looking area maps. And that tool also created files I could load into my plotter. Worked great. It’s handy to know which sub area you are fishing when the regulations get fine tuned. I tried to find a link for you but couldn’t. I’ll have another look when I’m sitting at a computer.

It wouldn’t be hard for them to do. Something like I Hunter does. You can pin point where you are at and it gives you up to date regulations for your location. If they can do it for hunting wmu’s surely it can be done for fishing. They just would have to care enough to do it is all.

What you are looking for does exist on the DFO site. All the areas are described with lat/long along with coast boundaries. I used that info to create files that I imported into https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/. After playing with the data a bit I got nice looking area maps. And that tool also created files I could load into my plotter. Worked great. It’s handy to know which sub area you are fishing when the regulations get fine tuned. I tried to find a link for you but couldn’t. I’ll have another look when I’m sitting at a computer.
DFO site was down. Finally found the link to area boundary descriptions.

Good job on finding that Data. I was getting frustrated with every link I was hitting to be down over the last few days.
This is exactly the information that I can build the files with.
I was winging it with my best guess using the generic PDF's they offer, and Basecamp + Google Earth.

Thanks Again for sourcing that link.

Back