Are there enough Pinks around to target them?

pralinebuckets

I know the majority of the Pinks will show up later in the year for the run - but in the Nanaimo / Vancouver area, are there many around in the ocean in May? With all of the closures for everything else, Pink seem like the likely target at the moment... But are there any out there this time of year?

I know the majority of the Pinks will show up later in the year for the run - but in the Nanaimo / Vancouver area, are there many around in the ocean in May? With all of the closures for everything else, Pink seem like the likely target at the moment... But are there any out there this time of year?
Maybe the odd one, but I doubt it. Tough sledding if you’re chasing early run pinks 😉

I would not be shocked if pinks are closed this summer due to low returns because of the fraser valley floods two years ago.

The reason Pinks have a bad rep is they have to be bled, gutted and iced down right away. If you do this they are fine IMO. If you don’t gut them right away the belly burn will ruin them.

The reason Pinks have a bad rep is they have to be bled, gutted and iced down right away. If you do this they are fine IMO. If you don’t gut them right away the belly burn will ruin them.
Makes sense. I'm used to doing this with Okanagan sockeye. Essential when air temp is 35°C and water surface temperature in the mid 20s.

Back