APS outboards

scott craven

There's only 4 models 2.6hp, 5hp, 9.8hp and 15hp
Looks like a Chinese product produced using expired Yamaha and
Mercury patents.
Apparently all parts are interchangeable.
Would you touch one with a 10' pole ?

Buying stuff from china. I have a guilty pleasure of doing this. I especially have an e-bay flashlight from china thing going on as well. China now has the world largest middle class which in turn has created a demand for better quality products. I have noticed this in items I have purchased recently from there. Like the yamaha 80 dirt bikes knock offs I bought for cheap have turned out to be virtually indestructible. Their a kids bike and we are all adults, myself and two friends all have these and have beaten the **** out of them for 6 years or so and they are all still running. The only catch is getting parts. While they are knock offs they are not peice by piece identical and it took me a while to find the correct replacement tire...but I did it just took a bit. Otherwise we have not needed parts.
There is always an element of risk to buying this type of stuff but I would say it is a better situation now than it was 15 years ago.
my 2 cents.

There's only 4 models 2.6hp, 5hp, 9.8hp and 15hp
Looks like a Chinese product produced using expired Yamaha and
Mercury patents.
Apparently all parts are interchangeable.
Would you touch one with a 10' pole ?

Yes, Chinese motors. Yes, junk. No, wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole. Used to be called Genovo but I think they went out of business or changed their name. They make crap generators too.

Buy a used kicker from a reputable brand and you would be far better off in my opinion.

Back