Anyone with experience towing with rear wheel drive?

Dave S

I'm looking to buy a truck soon to replace my gas pig pathfinder. I rarely used 4x4 in my pathfinder and I know it really affects my mpg, so I am considering 2wd trucks. From what I remember, I've only used 4x4 on ramps twice at low tide and I think I may have been able to get out without it.

Anyone with experience towing a boat in a 2wd pickup?

Thanks,
Dave

PS, looking at 2004-2007 pickups. Models include: Colorado, Canyon, Silverado, Sierra, Frontier, Titan. Any good or bad thoughts on any of these is much appreciated.

:)

i only towed my 25 grady with a 2wd f250. never had problems getting up any ramp.
that said, 4x4 is nice to have the 1% of the time you need it. my next truck(s) will be 4wd,
but i also like to drive in the snow and do some hunting with them

My silverado has an amazing stock differential (rear end) I think its called a g80. I'll check that. I have a very heavy boat and have never needed to use 4x4 on a ramp.

Last edited by a moderator:
i only towed my 25 grady with a 2wd f250. never had problems getting up any ramp.

What was the tongue weight on that trailer though?

Are you really going to save that much gas on the trucks listed over what you are currently driving?

I couldn't live with a 2wd but what we do with them maybe different... for that 1% of the time I love them.

I wouldn't touch a Colorado with a ten foot pole....or even an eleven foot one.

Bought a Colorado in 2007. Biggest piece of **** I ever drove bar none.

Only owned it 5 weeks and traded it in.......that's how bad it was.

What are you towing dave?

beemer

I'm towing a 16' Arima with Yamaha 4 stroke 60 and 8 on the back. Single axle galvie ez loader. Currently driving a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder with a 3.3 V6. It's gutless and averages 14 mpg.

I wouldn't touch a Colorado with a ten foot pole....or even an eleven foot one.

Bought a Colorado in 2007. Biggest piece of **** I ever drove bar none.

Only owned it 5 weeks and traded it in.......that's how bad it was.

Thanks for the heads up Seafever. What kinda issues were you having with it?

Are you really going to save that much gas on the trucks listed over what you are currently driving?

I should be able to improve gas milage by at least 3 mpg. I am also looking at upgrading to a pickup for work. Need a truck box far too often.

What was the tongue weight on that trailer though?

I couldn't live with a 2wd but what we do with them maybe different... for that 1% of the time I love them.

tongue weight was NOT too much - was setup from sherwood for the truck perfectly.most people dont need 2wd at the ramp, but its worth every penny when you do.

My truck is 4wd. It had 355's for the gear ratio in the diffs. I decided to change the ratio to 410's, to haul my travel trailer better. I did the rear first, but I couldn't do the front for a few weeks because I needed the truck. In that month or so that I couldn't use 4 wheel drive, I had to get towed up the ramp in sicamous, and I got stuck launching my boat in cowichan at my buddy's cabin. Again, needed a tow. Now I've done the front axle, and I haven't needed 4wd at a ramp since then. But.......when I do..... It's like others have said, it's that 1 percent of the time when you need it, that's why I have 4wd, and always will.

My silverado has an amazing stock differential (rear end) I think its call a g80. I'll check that. I have a very heavy boat and have never needed to use 4x4 on a ramp.

My Silverado has a very low first gear for getting going up a steep incline with a heavy load but will only go a few K per hour. 2nd gear is what I would consider first gear on most vehicles and will start off up hill with no problem. That's without even putting it into 4x4 and bull low.

Watch that any used Nissan truck has already had the radiator fixed. They still have problems making your tranny fluid look like pepto bismal. 5-6k fix often.

anyone add a front hitch to the truck? Had one many years ago and it was a treat to launch and the rear wheels were usually on a dry part of the ramp when loading...have a 4wd now though-lol

Any truck that is 2WD and has a 'Limited Slip' rear end is a much better choice than a normal one-wheel drive rear end. if one wheel slips the other wheel will kick in.

My previous truck was a 2Wd with a limited slip differential.

I took this truck to Port Alberni daily Monday through Friday in the winter time over the hump and it got me through everything, never getting stuck once.

I also launched my aluminum boat at numerous ramps with it, and never got stuck once.

So the LS rear end is not too bad at all on a 2WD.

But the tires are just as big as factor IMO........ I always put very good quality tires on my trucks. Cheapo tires equals cheapo grip.

Dave S.:- Everything was wrong with it. This particular vehicle came with a 2 segment driveshaft that was always acting up. Later model Colorados, some have one-piece driveshaft, but I will never buy one again. Lots of little things on it that would not work properly or fail.

X3 for the Silverado 4X4. I saw a guy this summer - heavy boat and wishing he had 4 wheel drive on the slick ramp. My boat's 6000# and not a slip coming out. More wheels are holding on the ramp while you load, too. Boating's more fun when you are confident. Like others have said, when you need it, it's priceless.

2001 Dodge Cummins 4X4 with a stick. Great mileage, lots of pulling power, super low ratio in 4 low which makes coming out of the water on any ramp like your not even on a ramp or have a boat behind you. I did have a 72 3/4 Ford Sport Custom 2wd with a race built 390 and a 4 speed. It always got me out of the water but I did have to invite a couple of guys to jump in the back a couple of times on really steep and slimy ramps. That truck was also and was a lot more fun to drive than the Dodge diesel when the boat wasn't behind mel!! It was a bit of a rocket ship.

Back