Anyone use a Bipod?

tyeegalore

I just got a new rifle and was thinking of getting a Bipod for it but have never experienced them and wondered if any of you that hunt have any comments, good or bad about their use or which ones are good if you like them? Do they get in the way when not being used?etc etc?
Thanks,

Hey Tyeegalore, I have three of them, that's how much I like them. The last one was purchased because the newer models swivel which makes them usable on uneven ground. I never went sheep hunting without one as it is almost impossible to steady a rifle after climbing a mountain. I also found them very useful on antelope hunts where some of the shots were in excess of 250 yards. They fold up along the barrel when not in use and attach to the swivel on the forend of your stock and you can still attach your sling albeit to the bipod. Mine are made by Harris however I understand their patent expired and there are knockoffs that are very similiar. Not very useful in the bush but in open terrain where you may be taking a long shot.... don't leave home without one! On a final note, they come in different heights, short ones are great at the range and the longer ones are better in tall grass. I belive most of them are adjustable:) SS

I have one on my 280.I like it alot.To be honest I have only shot one elk using the pod. Its nice to have and I have never found it to get in the road.Keep it well oiled and clean they work well.

Thanks SS and Frango, are they all made equally well or are there different systems, like joints and swivel points that make them tick? Are they light? Really want to get one if it makes sense and I would use it some of the time.

Back