Anyone try Ceramic Coatings?

Rain City

Crew Member
Got a guy trying to sell me on this stuff. Looks like a liquid wax kind of deal. I had never heard of it prior to this. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

i have a friend with it on his lake boat, not sure if it will go over bottom paint
Oh is that the idea with it? Supposed to go on bottom? I thought it was like a topside protectant.

It is a topside treatment - essentially a substitute for wax. You could do the bottom if you boat was kept on a trailer and not slipped (and bottom painted), but that's not what you are looking for.

Search on thehulltruth.com - there is lots of feedback on there from people who have had it done. From what I've read, you want to have someone who really knows what their doing as it is much more involved than waxing (and much more expensive) and it is critical that you get the application right. I don't think the cost-benefit is better than waxing - again from what I've read. It looks great at first (so does a fresh coat of wax), but doesn't seem to last 3x - 5x longer than wax which is what the cost is.

FWIW, I've had very good results with Collinite Fleetwax 885 heavy duty paste. I apply once a year in the spring after a polish and it lasts a year, but that is in a covered slip. For the non-slip I've been using Woody Wax, but I haven't made up my mind on that one as it doesn't seem to last very long.

It is a topside treatment - essentially a substitute for wax. You could do the bottom if you boat was kept on a trailer and not slipped (and bottom painted), but that's not what you are looking for.

Search on thehulltruth.com - there is lots of feedback on there from people who have had it done. From what I've read, you want to have someone who really knows what their doing as it is much more involved than waxing (and much more expensive) and it is critical that you get the application right. I don't think the cost-benefit is better than waxing - again from what I've read. It looks great at first (so does a fresh coat of wax), but doesn't seem to last 3x - 5x longer than wax which is what the cost is.

FWIW, I've had very good results with Collinite Fleetwax 885 heavy duty paste. I apply once a year in the spring after a polish and it lasts a year, but that is in a covered slip. For the non-slip I've been using Woody Wax, but I haven't made up my mind on that one as it doesn't seem to last very long.
Sweet thanks. The guy that's buying my bayliner is offering to work it into the deal by doing the Commander for "cheap". He does planes and supercars I'm told.

I tried the Collinite Fleetwax 885 as heard very good things about it. However I found it more difficult to use than Meguiars Premium marine wax. It harder to buff off and you have to do a few square feet at a time. I ended up doing one side of the boat Collinite and one side Meguiars so will see which lasts better.
Both sides looked awesome after application.

Ive tried Hydrosilex on my car and it seems to work great. They do have a marine version as well which i am tempted to try. This one is do it yourself and its not very complicated. first you need to remove the wax with one of their products, its simple spray on, buff off. Then you apply the ceramic coating, same thing, it comes in a spray bottle and you spray some on a small section then buff it off with a microfiber cloth. It creates a nice shine and water beads off it really well. They claim it will last 6 months between applications. They suggest putting the marine one on the bottom of the boat as well and claim that it increases your fuel economy by reducing the friction with water. you can also put it on your windshield and seats.
https://www.hydrosilex.com/

Back