Anyone Heard this Story?

Sushihunter

I just talked to a Tahsis local who told me this story.

He said that a group of people went out on a live-aboard charter boat, somewhere between Bela Coola and Prince Rupert, (he didn't know where exactly).

They fished for several days and caught their limits of fish. The guide(s) said that they would prepare the fish and freeze them and ship them home to their guests as they didn't have time to get this done before the people flew out. This fish was supposed to go to Calgary, and a couple of other locations. After a week or ten days, the fish hadn't shown up when scheduled so they started calling the canery/smokehouse who had no record of any such fish.

This suposedly was on the CBC news last Monday or Tuesday. Being somewhat of a news junkie who catches the TV news nightly and watches the internet daily, I never heard a word about this. Nor can I find any trace of it on CBC news website or through Google.

If someowne could point me to a news article, I would appreciate it.

My questions: Who would go on such a charter in Feburary? Who was the charter company/guide involved in this? Or is this some new urban legend?

Thanks

saw the tail end of it on TV in Edmonton yesterday. Missed most of the story (now I know the rest) but suffice to say the customer that they interviewed was quite pissed about the whole thing, and it made news all over Alberta.

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

I just talked to a Tahsis local who told me this story.

I wouldn't take my telling of this tale as the gospel truth - the guy who told me wasn't very clear on details. I had to drag it out of him just to find out that it wasn't here in Tahsis, that it was somewhere up north.

But I would like to get the true story here in case a customer asks me about it in the future.

If I find anything, I'll post it here.

Havent heard this exact story, heard a couple about (sorry for going back to a hot board topic... tuna) a local going out and bringing in 20-30 at a time, and not properly iced down and bled... cat food (but bragging). Heard others about trucks full of iced down, cooler packed salmon heading for processing in CR on duplicate licenses... seems that lil' ol Tahsis is full of stories. Hopefully will hear some good ones.

OK - I got the story!

Video Link here: http://www.canada.com/globaltv/edmonton/video/index.html

Click on "Global Edmonton Newscasts"
Click "News Hour: Mar 6"
The clip is at time mark 15:10 to 18:30. You will have to wait until you get to that point as there is no way to fast forward. I found the video to be very choppy as it was constantly buffering. Let it play the part you want and then grab the slider and move back in time and it will play steady until it needs to buffer again.

The Story:

Roger Cote of Edmonton booked a trip last summer on Maverick's Charters in Kitimat, BC, which is owned by Mike Bernard.

Trip went well and they caught their limit including a 32 pound Chinook. The charter company did not have enough coolers to send the fish home with the clients so they said that they would ship them the fish. To date no fish have arrived.

Bernard said that the generator on the boat failed and they lost the fish in the freezer. He has offered to compensate Cote at a rate of $2.00 per pound. Cote says that Salmon in Edmonton is $17.00 a pound.

Maverick's Charters: http://maverickscharters.com

Sounds like a sad story - of course we have not heard the other side from the Maverick's Charters.

Anyone here have thoughts on this matter?

quote:Originally posted by --smtw

Havent heard this exact story, heard a couple about (sorry for going back to a hot board topic... tuna) a local going out and bringing in 20-30 at a time, and not properly iced down and bled... cat food (but bragging). Heard others about trucks full of iced down, cooler packed salmon heading for processing in CR on duplicate licenses... seems that lil' ol Tahsis is full of stories. Hopefully will hear some good ones.

Ya, that is a fairly common tale in Tahsis - truck loads of fish being run out of town in the middle of the night. Haven't heard this particular story about Tuna to catfood though. Seems to me that anyone who is good enough to catch that many Tuna here would know how to take care of them. They should be iced down as soon as possible after bleeding. Is it even possible NOT to bleed a Tuna [?] I thought they just exploded when the hit the deck. [:0] Also, stabbing them in the head with a screwdriver (we used longnose pliers) to kill the brain is important in shutting down the nervous system.

Everybody here tells tales of truck loads of fish headed out of town, but no one seems to make the phone call to stop it - why is that? Urban legend? Who knows for sure?

Back