Anybody Got Or Had One Of These ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Country Boy
  • Start date Start date
C

Country Boy

Looking for some input on Campion Boats ? 542 SC w/150 O/B 18'2"-19'6", 602 SC Bracketed w/150 O/B 20'10" - 23'1" , 622 WA w/150 O/B 21'6" - 23'6" (centerline & Length overall. These are the three boats that I'm him'n'hawing over. (the wife say its got to have a cuddy and they all do)A friend has a 542 SC w/ 135 O/B (the old style 1998)a nice little boat. I think that I want something just a little bigger and the other two are just that. The 602 SC is bracketed and the 622 WA is on the transom. Do you think the bracketed boat will be better in the sloppy and rough stuff,Both running and trolling ? How much difference will 4" in beam make, if any ? 602 SC 7'8" Beam & 622 WA 8' Beam.

Campions are great boats and a local product... thats an excellent choice in my opinion...I think you would def. appreciate the wider boat!! It really does make a difference!!! The cuddy is great and so is the WA.... you'll love it!! Good luck

I have the 2005 542(new model) with the F115. With the stock aluminium prop it will reach 40 mph's at WOT. I have the 4 blade stainless so it lost a few mph's at the top end but has a better mid-range where I use it the most anyways. The new model is quite a bit bigger than the old one with the raised deck. Cruising, I burn roughly 20 litres a hour. With the 200 litre tank, I can get quite a ways. So far the boat has been to 7-mile (Bamfield) from PA several times, Nootka, Esperanza, Quatsino, Port Hardy to Shearwater, and all around the Campbell River area. Serves me quite well.

Ran into a guy at the gas station that traded down a larger Explorer with twin power to a new model 542 and also seemed quite happy especially with the reduction in fuel costs. He seemed to think he did not lose that much room.

Seawolf what do you think your boat would be like w/ 150 Yamaha 4 stroke and trim tabs ? Would the trim tabs help your set up at all ? What's the most guys you've ever fished with in your boat ? Do you have your kicker on the transom beside your main motor or on an aux. bracket off to one side ? Got any pictures you can email of your boat setup ? I would like to fish the same spots as you but, I also need to be able to pull a skier/tube/kneeboarder/wakeboarder. That's why I'm more inclined to the bigger motor.Thanks for your input too.

Even though I don't have the same boat you are looking for I would say trim tabs are a must for a boat this size!!!!! You'll regret it if you don't get them! The bigger outboard would be a benefit also i would say.... it wouldn't be working as hard to get the boat up etc. It'll be worth while in the long run!

I have a 2004 Campion 602 Sport Bracket with a F150. I have used the Boat to go offshore in Ucluelet and Tofino a tone of times, and now use it in Prince Rupert. I was a little worried at firts about the power, thinking it was too little as the max from Campion is 225HP, however I was convinced that the F150 would be enough. I am happy with it the F150 will push it 43MPH WOT with a full load, which is faster than I will ever need to go on the salt. I cruise about 27-30 at 3800-4000RPM. I have a stainless prop. It is a great boat for fishing. The bracket is awesome as it leaves a ton of room in the boat. I have an power tilt Yamaha T8 for a kicker. I looked at the 622 and did like it. I beleive the MSRP is cheaper on the 622, however I noticed there was less covered seating, and now that I live in Prince Rupert this is very benificial.

I first received the boat without tabs and soon added a set of Bennett M-120's. Tabs are a must in my opinion.

As stated you can not go wrong with Campion. They are awsome boats. I know guys that have the 542 and the 682 and they love them.

If you need more info let me know, I would be happy to help.

I have a Campion 542 1998 model and apart from a few small gelcoat blisters have nothing but good things to say about their fibreglassing. It has a 135 merc and I can cruise 36MPH at 4100 RPM and burn about 20 litres an hour. The fuel tank is about 110 litres giving you about 60 miles cruise range (using the 1/3 out 1/3 in and 1/3 reserve rule.)It rides well in a light chop and has plenty of storage space up front and under the seats. With the top folded down and on an ez loader roller trailer it is underheight on the ferries and fits in my garage with 6 inches to spare.
Its one drawback is that the cuddy is 5ft 9in and is a little cramped for an overnight sleep, but the seats do fold down into bunks.

Chilipepper, Thanks and I will look for flaws of sort. Guess the guy was just a little too excited when he picked up the new boat and didn't inspect it thoroughly enough. It also could of been one of those freakish one in a million things, and what are the chances. Not saying that he would of seen it or would it have been obvious, even with a thorough inspection. Definitely will be doing everything from a top to bottom inspection and a water test before I leave. Can only hope that I will find anything that is wrong with the boat, prior to leavin with it. I'd be a little upset too, being in his position I would demand the same. Regardless of how they rectified the problem, just guarantee the repair if that's the case, deal with it quickly and efficiently. Thanks everybody for your input and SW and J3d email are on the way.

Back