An opportunity in federal politics

sly_karma

Crew Member
There is an opportunity at the moment in federal politics that ordinary people can use to shape the next government. It's about 15 months to the next election, and the opposition has yet to make any meaningful policy announcements, aka their election platform. Right now, about all they have is Axe The Tax, a natty slogan that will no doubt win them many votes, probably enough to form a government.

But what will they do as a government? What will there be beyond axing the tax? The reason there haven't been policy announcements is because they're still being formulated. It's too soon in the cycle to commit to platform. Public opinions can and do change, and they want to be in sync with what they read as community sentiment when the ersatz campaign rolls out in a year from now.

So, the opportunity for us is to reach out to likely candidates, shadow ministers and riding associations to let them know our feelings on the issues that matter to us and our community. For us in here, fishing and marine resource management are very important. The opposition hasn't released its fisheries policy yet because it doesn't have one. Let's get talking to them and see if something can change. Do it through the various advocacy groups like SFAB and SFI, or contact local MP etc.

Now is the time to act, nothing changes once policy is set. If you find yourself out in front of the commons with placards, your lobbying efforts are f**ked.

On u tube, Polieve's pretty much layed out his election platform in a speech he made at the building trades convention in April

Have a look you might find it interesting

Great post. It takes Months, Years and decades to shape policy and change laws. Start now. I had our MLA, who I had met with personally at her office years before, at her office, come up to me in the street Friday. She had no clue who I was and, in the end, asked me for my vote. I haven't been the squeaky wheel; so I don't get any grease.

SVIAC has also engaged some of the Conservative politicians that want to support the public fishery. They are listening to us and are open to our input. Now is the time to continue lobbying and advocating for fair access for the public fishery.

The SFI regularly makes trips to Ottawa (3 or more/year) to meet with Federal political leaders engaged in the Fishery file from all parties. The intent is to provide objective factual background on key recreational fishery issues and to advance awareness and education of those on behalf of the recreational fishery. The SFI also meets with DFO National Head Quarters senior staff to similar provide background and advice regarding recreational fishery issues. Additionally, the SFI has partnered with BCWF and PSF to host meet and greet events to raise awareness of our fishery where all the political parties are invited to attend. Aside from those activities the SFI also outreaches to BC caucus MP's from all parties at the local riding level. So there is a lot of activity taking place that folks may not be aware of.

As individuals, anyone can reach out to their local MP and seek an opportunity to meet with them to raise awareness and support for issues important to your fishery. Cards, letters and personal outreach are effective ways to help build awareness and support for our fishery in Ottawa.

Back