Alluminum VS glass

CCB

I may want to switch boats but I cannot find what I want in a glass boat lke mine a trophy 2359 . I have been browsing alluminums and not sure if I want to switch . I would like members who have owned both to please tell me what they like better and why given the same size boat. One main reason I want to switch is twins. There's no point converting mine as I would buy one already with them. Too costly to convert mine. I am also not wanting to spend 150k at this time or I would buy an osprey or skagit orca please only owners that have owned both.

I've owned both but don't think they are really that comparable to what you are probably looking at.
1978 16' Starcraft Supersport bowrider (riveted alum)
1996 16' Arima Sea Explorer
Also spend lots of time on Andrew P's boat which is 2005 16' Harbercraft 1625

Here is what I've come to learn:

Aluminum pros
-lighter
-more durable
-cheaper to run
-easier to repair
-doesn't deterorate like fb
-paintable
-does not require bottom paint

Fiberglass pros
-cheaper to buy
-rides better (especially in chop)
-nicer "finish"
-not as conductive to temperature
-more options
-quieter

Fiberglass ride better from the weight and does look great after a wax. Aluminum is tougher and lighter which is cheap on fuel. The 2359 is a great boat and to sell that to get the same style of boat is going to cost you money for sure. A boat like that in metal is going to be 65 to 100k.

Ditto for what has been said above, if you prawn fish, scuba dive and drop the odd cannon ball Alu in more forgiving. I'm a metal guy after owning both types, hull design in an Alu is a bit more important than in a glass boat due to the low weight factor. Look at the reverse chine - wide at transom / that tapers to the bow, dead rise 18 degrees or more, lifting strakes and if the "V" in the hull is deep right to the transom it may cork more in the swells or list easier during ballast transfer (IE couple fat friends helping you net a fish...) delta style plane surface is nice also keeps your outboard cowlings higher above the water line. Love my kingfisher but wish it wasn't painted un-avoidable maintenance issue with constant heavy usage but looks cool right now. Hope this helps..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys love my boat so comfortable and handles big water with ease but a tad heavier on fuel. As its loaded probably 6500 lbs. I may just keep it and re power with twins when needed. I don't think I can ever switch over from a pilot house but to alluminum or outboards is a possibility just cause of the family.

[SUPhey wild thing. That's what I'm talkin about total comfort even though I love merc crusers I hate verados there the worst on fuel. I would sell my boat and buy that for sure . That's sweet if I ever start guiding I will pull the trigger. Also you never replied to my pm or post.

View attachment 5485
seen this and liked but again its a day dream / lotto win price range for me ....lol
sold listing never mind

http://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com/listings_detail.php?id=137

Lottery is right - need it to run the thing. Beautiful boat for sure but 16 GPH x $5 a gallon (and rising) is $80 an hour to "cruise"! WOT must be scary. For anyone but the wealthy, that's getting out of reach. When it starts costing almost as much to run it as repair it, you know things are getting crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 glass boats previous.....lovin my luminem ... way less maintaince, less fuel, less motor, less to tow... pilothouse and a heater for the family!!!

Lottery is right - need it to run the thing. Beautiful boat for sure but 16 GPH x $5 a gallon (and rising) is $80 an hour to "cruise"! WOT must be scary. For anyone but the wealthy, that's getting out of reach. When it starts costing almost as much to run it as repair it, you know things are getting crazy.

its really on 13 gph. american to canadian. that would be only a bit above average for twins on a boat that size. put hondas or yams on there and u would probably be par or even just below. still expensive though. Nice boat! ****** outboards lol. just my opinion.

On to the glass vs aluminum. Glass breaks.

You think of aluminum as being lighter than glass but that boat weighs about 10k I was told. It' loaded but you pay the price at the pump for having a boat loaded with all the options.

Back