AIS Garmin 300 Installation

pescador

I'm installing a Garmin 300 AIS system over the next couple of weeks on my boat. Garmin states that their system allows for usage of your current VHF antennae for installation. I've heard varying views on VHF performance when sharing antennas with AIS. Does anyone out there have experience using the same antennae for your VHF and AIS system? If so, have you noticed any degradation in performance using the VHF? Is it better to simple install a separate antennae (more cost and work of course)?

I have installed acr ais systems that do require a dedicated antenna. Standard Horizon have a new VHF with built in AIS and have not seen any reviews on it yet. I have read up on it and looks good. It has all the same function and shows it on the VHF and transfer data to you plotter.
If you are upgrading your radio I would get it with AIS.

I've got the Standard Horizon VHF 2105 with the AIS receiver - It works great for seeing ships/tugs coming and going in the fog while out in the lanes at Swiftsure.
The info I got before buying the unit is that the AIS frequencies are at the edge of the VHF band so unless max sensitivity is needed, a decent VHF antenna will work fine. ( I can pick up the US Coast Guard rescue boat tied up in Neah Bay when I`m at Swiftsure - gotta be 20+ miles )

It is a great piece of navigational aid and good to see the Standard Horizon 2150 packed in one unit for a lot less than other stand alone AIS units.

I also have the Standard Horizon VHF radio and love it. For the price you can't beat it. Just make sure you wire it in properly and your good to go. I don't know it if does it on all plotters, but on mine you can find out all the info on the vessel like SOG and where its going and how big it is plus a whole lot more.

I also have the SH gx2150 and its real nice, it easily wires into my HDS Touch (2 wires) and overlays all commercial traffic as well right on my plotter screen, real nice piece of equipment not too badly priced either, I think 360.00 at harbor chandler

Back