Ace Hauler Is Dead. Anybody sell internal parts for them ?

Don Haraguchi

The gear inside my 2 season old ace hauler is completely worn out. Motor spins, but the actual gear that sits on the shaft is toast. Has anybody out there replaced it, or had a service done on one of these things ? It would be a shame to have to fork out $300 for a whole new motor assembly just to fix a $2 gear.

For those curious, I usually prawn in less than 300’ of water, 2 traps/string with no more than 10 lbs of weights.

upload_2020-8-22_12-31-53.jpeg

upload_2020-8-22_12-32-19.jpeg

If you call them they will send you what you need. Their service has been good.

Ace is awesome.. great local business. Drop it off at their shop and they are in there manufacturing and repairing. I suspect they will repair for a nominal fee, particularly if it looks like a component issue

Dropped the extension arm off my brand new Ace overboard years ago on the second trip, called Ace Bam! arm replaced

I’m no engineer, but there better be a damn good reason why that gear is not made of metal, (like the worm gear off the motor is), and sitting in a oil bath.

Seems like it’s made of fibreglass, or some composite. Pretty chincy for a $600 unit.

That is actually fairly normal to make the "rack" (larger gear) out of something that wears quicker than the pinion. I have had an original ace for like 10 years and other than the switch, which I have replaced a few times, I really have had no problems. My string has 7 lbs in each trap as I prawn in fairly big current area and it labours for sure with heavy loads but the kind of wear your machine has seems crazy. I'm thinking poor batch from offshore on that puller. I bet ace would send you a new gear for sure.

A few years back I upgraded the motor and had some troubles. I took it to them in Nanaimo. They had it fixed up for me in a couple hours. Great customer service. Nice people too.

Good customer service and product support is so rare these days, that I must also say that Ace is awesome in both regards.
They mailed me a replacement switch for free, when I realized that I did not have time and bench space to do the rather simple repair, I had a buddy drop it off at Ace and they couriered it back to me, all in less then $50, most of that was the courier fee.

I emailed Ace looking for a part after dinner once. The owner emailed back 10 minutes later and said he had one in his truck and I could come to the house and get it. Lots of fancy pullers around but if I need a new one it will be Ace.

Back